Using Server to Terminate Network Feed

I have been asked to help implement a network for a school. They have a MC3800 router with two serial ports and one Ethernet port. Since funds are limited to buy another ethernet module, someone designed the network using what they have. Here's the proposed design:

10 Mb feed from Cox Cable goes directly into a server's E0. Server is running Windows Server 2003 and Websense web filtering software. Filtered output leaves server's E1 and goes to Catalyst 4507R. Access is through one 48 port Ethernet module in the 4507R plus two local and seven remote 3550s connected via fiber.

I have never heard of terminating the network feed in a device other than a router. Will the proposed design work? If so, do you foresee any problems from not using a router? Finally, if we want to set up VLANs, can the 4507's Supervisor Engine IV route between them?

Reply to
Bob Simon
Loading thread data ...

As long as the server can keep up with expected traffic volumes.

between them?

yes

to configure layer 3 interface on 4507R see Cisco doc:

formatting link

Reply to
Merv

If it's fast ethernet, trunk it.

How 'bout a proxy? That might be a good place to terminate an internet connection. If the server is configured to route, then it is a router. Bloody bad idea to put windows in that role. As far as networking is concerned windows ranks at the very bottom of the heap.

Not very well, in my opinion. Then again, I know nothing of implementing websense and the ramifications there about.

Your "server/router" could route between vlans. My understanding is that the intel proset drivers support trunking.

Reply to
Dom

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.