Cisco Wireless APs and Backhauling Question no hardwired option

Hello Group,

I was looking for everyone's input for the following;

I am looking at a wireless job for a customer where very few Access Points can be hardwired; meaning roughly half, and I was wondering what the best way to proceed would be. I have heard of backhauling but canot really find any documentation or implementation for it. Would the best way to do this involve configuring Cisco 1200 aps with an a and g radio installed and then use the a radio for connecting the access points together and the g radio for user access. Any suggestions would be helpful. This is a multi-floor configuration where two access points would be hardwired and feed two non-wired access points.

Thanks,

TM

Reply to
tm
Loading thread data ...

Hi TM, The backhauling you are writing about is called Wireless Mesh Networking. This solution can be used only in a CUWN environment (with a Wireless Controller and Lightweight APs). In your case I think the only solution is configuring the 2 non-wired APs as repeaters.

Best regards, Oren.

snipped-for-privacy@wiscomp.com =D7=9B=D7=AA=D7=91:

Reply to
Oren

Hi TM,

~ I was looking for everyone's input for the following; ~ ~ I am looking at a wireless job for a customer where very few Access ~ Points can be hardwired; meaning roughly half, and I was wondering ~ what the best way to proceed would be. I have heard of backhauling ~ but canot really find any documentation or implementation for it. ~ Would the best way to do this involve configuring Cisco 1200 aps with ~ an a and g radio installed and then use the a radio for connecting the ~ access points together and the g radio for user access. Any ~ suggestions would be helpful. This is a multi-floor configuration ~ where two access points would be hardwired and feed two non-wired ~ access points. ~ ~ Thanks, ~ ~ TM

Yeah, assuming that your wireless clients are going to use 802.11b/g and not 802.11a, your best bet would be to get some 1240s and use the 11a radios for backhaul. The topology will look something like this:

======================== hardwired LAN ======================== | | [[11g AP] AP1 [11a root br]] [[11g AP] AP2 [11a root br]] / / [[11g AP] AP3 [11a nrb]] [[11g AP] AP4 [11a NRB]]

I.e. you configure all 2.4GHz radios as root APs. The hardwired APs will have their 5GHz radios configured as root bridges, and the APs that lack hardwired network connections will have their

5GHz radios configured as nonroot bridges.

If need be, you can use directional antennas on the 5GHz links.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Okay that makes sense, Thanks for the input Aaron and Oren.

Reply to
tm

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.