Hardwired shower XM radio

Looking to add a hardwired XM radio to my shower during a shower remodel. I can't seem to find such a product though. Heck, i can't even find a normal hardwired shower radio anywhere either. All I can find is those cheapo freestanding shower radios.

Ideally it'd be one of those flush-mount panel interfaces with the guts hidden behind a wall somewhere and an antenna placed on the roof. Since they don't seem to make one though, is there a next best thing? Can I put a marine radio in a shower?

Reply to
Actor123
Loading thread data ...

Looking to add a hardwired XM radio to my shower during a shower remodel. I can't seem to find such a product though. Heck, i can't even find a normal hardwired shower radio anywhere either. All I can find is those cheapo freestanding shower radios.

Ideally it'd be one of those flush-mount panel interfaces with the guts hidden behind a wall somewhere and an antenna placed on the roof. Since they don't seem to make one though, is there a next best thing? Can I put a marine radio in a shower?

Reply to
Actor123

The simplest solution might be to put an XM receiver under the vanity and wire it to built-in, waterproof speakers in the shower stall and bathroom ceiling. I've done similar things for clients who like to listen to music in the shower.

Whatever you do, make absolutely certain that the music system is plugged into a GFI outlet or an outlet that is controlled by a GFI breaker. Otherwise, you might find yourself listening to harp music. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Hardwired radios are going to be difficult to find because I doubt any company wants to take the risk.

Lets see: Power line powered in a wet situation where the person is expected to touch it. If the shock and water spray hazard doesn't scare them away, how about hot and periods of condensing humidity.

One suggestion would be to set up an isolated power supply (easy) that is running an automotive radio. Automotive equipment is tested for more severe environments than normal equipment. The next step down would be the power supply running a sporting oriented unit.

A number of years ago, This Old House was going to put speakers in a sauna. Dr. Bose was their guest expert and suggested automotive speakers for it based on the similar temperatures that occur in a closed car.

Reply to
B Fuhrmann

Automotive radios are not intended for use in condensing humidity. They wouldn't be well suited for use in a shower. A marine radio would be a better fit. However, in my earlier post I suggested using a remotely located radio and just running speakers in the shower. I've done this for a number of clients with excellent results.

With all of the respect that Dr Bose (whose PhD has nothing to do with audio, by the way) is due, I would not allow that man to design anything for a client of mine. Bose speakers are mostly over-priced, over-hyped crap. As one sage poster likes to paraphrase the Bose slogan, "Better profits through marketing".

Reply to
Robert L Bass

What about using a remote receiver, located in the vanity or linen closet, speakers in the shower stall, and a remote IR bud (wired back to the receiver) in the shower stall? (there are water proof remotes for things like hot tubs)

That way, you got the sound, and dropping the remote control would be no worse than dropping the soap! (kind of depends on your situation, I guess!)

In all seriousness, If I were planning to put fancy radio output in the shower stall, I'd plan for things like replacing/upgrading the receiver, and also include in the plans, having speakers and a means of control outside the shower stall (by the sinks, etc), as shaving/doing hair/makeup can take up more time in the bathroom than a shower. Add another IR bud or two, and a couple more speakers and you're covered. What if you wanted to add a CD or IPOD player for example. A external receiver could make this much easier.

My 2c worth, but then again, I find a Sony AM/FM shower radio just fine for the time I'm in the bath.. I for one usually don't change the station on the radio once I'm in the shower, as my showers don't last that long, and any spare time is spent pondering what that green stuff between my toes really is.. I'm bald, so "doing my hair" isn't a problem, and I don't wear makeup!

Reply to
AZWoody

I take long showers and radio reception in my area is really poor. Shower radios are essentially unusable in my bathroom.

The weird thing is I've seen new shower units (Jacuzzi) that even have television/radio combos inside the shower, but I can't seem to find anyplace that sells these units separately. I would assume the display/panel would be a low voltage to prevent shocks, with the main gear located behing the wall or something.

I'd settle for a remotely located receiver with a remote control (preferably a wired panel), but do they have waterproof controllers for XM radios?

AZWoody wrote:

Reply to
Actor123

I'm sure if ADI carried that line they would be audiophiles' dream come true -- eh, Pinky?

Reply to
G. Morgan

Doubt you ever will either. There's just not enough market for it.

Consider that the time spent in a shower is but a small portion of the time the average bathroom gets used. It's just not convenient to stick a controller in the shower when it'll be unusable from elsewhere in the room. That and, honestly, in the course of bathing just how often do you think it's necessary to change a station?

I use a Russound CAV66 (whole house) setup and have a Dolphin waterproof remote (typically used for hot tubs). I find once I set the station (via the wall keypad), I have never found need to use the remote. Nor has my wife on selecting an mp3 playlist for listening when using the tub. Generally, it's pick the audio source and get on with whatever else, ignoring the gadgetry from that point forward. The only time we've found need for control has been to mute or adjust the volume level. When showering that's a simple matter of sticking an arm out and pressing a button on the keypad. When in the tub the remote would make it easier but it's never come up as an issue.

Where it becomes even LESS likely is the subscription schemes found with satellite radio. Why would someone get a license for a receiver that could only be used in one room? Certainly not when whole-house units can be had that allow listening everywhere else on a single license.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

If you use a whole-house audio system, you can use XM as a source and listen to it elsewhere in the house. You can, as others have suggested, use an IR remote to control a zone keypad outside the shower. A more expensive, but built-in, solution would be to install a Xantech WaterPad in your shower wall. The WaterPad is a fairly sophisticated programmable remote, which can be programmed to have whatever functions you'd like (XM, audio system, or other source control).

Reply to
Mark Thomas

OUCH! $500 for a remote? Yeesh, that's horrendously overpriced.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.