Cisco PIX 520 Firewall.

Hi Folks, I bought the above-mentioned firewall from Ebay. It is running Cisco PIX Firewall v6.3(5) and it is also running PIX Device Manager(PDM) v3.0(4), with all features enabled including failover. When I was buying this firewall I did not know that the Cisco PIX Firewall 520 have to be used in pairs i.e. A primary firewall and a secondary firewall with a failover cable between them.The seller did not mention this in their listing. My question is, Can I disable the failover feature on the device, so that it can be used alone without a primary firewall. Right now, it boots up a secondary firewall, looking for the primary.

Thanks, Benchmark.

Reply to
benchmark
Loading thread data ...

I think Cisco sells a "Primary" license (not cheap) that you can upgrade to. I also believe the "Secondary" will run, but will reboot every 24 hours if it does not find the "Primary".

Reply to
Ken Smith

PIX 520 do not -have- to run in pairs. However, it is possible that the 520 has a FO (Failover) license rather than a full license. If it has a FO license, then as the other poster mentioned, it will reboot every 24 hours if it does not detect the primary. But if it has a UR (Unrestricted) license, then it can be configured to run stand-alone.

Failover on PIX 6 requires that -one- of the pair be UR license, and the other can be either FO or UR. So we can't tell without seeing the 'show version' printout which license you have.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Hi Ken & Patrick, Thank you very much for your feedback. I am happy to report that I have been able to set up my Cisco PIX 520 and connected it to the Internet. I am able to browse behind it. I now realize the Cisco PIX 520 is in a class of its own compared to my other Cisco PIX 501. I really love it. I planned to sell it before I asked about it. Now, I am going to keep it in my CCNP lab rack at home. Now if you wanted to know what I did to get it going. I have previously did a password recovery on a Cisco PIX 501 that I also bought on Ebay. I did reset it to factory default before setting it up on my broadband connection. So again, I did "write erase" on the Cisco PIX 520 to set it to factory default. I the went through the basic set up script and zeroed and regenerated new RSA keys for the PIX and saved it. I then configured it with PDM and after that I was able to go to the internet. This newsgroup members are awesome. Keep up the good work. Again, thank you very much. Benchmark.

Reply to
benchmark

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.