Cisco Catalyst 3750G Wireless Lan Controller

I am looking into using this switch as my WLAN controller. I am curious about deployment options. I have 12 buildings, school district, and am wondering how can I deploy and have one SSID for all

12 buildings. Can I have the switches housed in our district datacenter and will the radio stations around the district be able to find the controllers or will i have to manually point the radio stations back to the controller? Thanks for the info. J
Reply to
joeytmann
Loading thread data ...

If you have 12 buildings, you will want to have a WLC installed in each building. A WLC is a wireless switch, not a wireless router. Would you want to bridge data from 12 different locations? A better option is the

4402 line of WLC's. The 3750G WLC is 3750G and a 4402 controller in the same box. The switch and the WLC functions are managed completely separate from each other, and I see no benefit to using them. If you need 6 or less APs in a building the NM-AIR-WLC6-K9 is a cheap solution. It also runs the same WLC software as the 4402, and the 3750G WLC controllers.

And yes you will be able to use the same SSID in all of your buildings. Using WLC's means the your running your AP's in LWAPP mode, which makes the AP's zero configuration devices. Everything is managed and controlled on the WLC. The AP's only need to be able to find the WLC the first time you boot them up. After the first time they contact the WLC, the WLC pushes down a configuration to them and configures which WLC they connect to. Cisco has several documents on how to configure WLC's and them methods available for the AP's to auto-discover the WLC on first boot.

Scott

Reply to
Thrill5

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.