HELP! Adding Wireless to School LAN

Hello,

I've been asked to develop a plan to add wireless to a school's wired LAN. There are two floors and each with two wings about 30 meters long with classrooms on both sides and then a foyer/library connecting the two wings. I was going to have a router for each wing as well as one for the office/foyer, library and gym. They want the wireless system to be seamless. So if a teacher picked up her laptop and went from a classroom along a wing to the library the change from the original AP to the new AP would happen promptly and the laptop would not hold on to a weak AP signal when it could use a stronger one (I understand that this could be the laptops problem but I want to know if there are solutions that don't rely on the client to jump between APs).

I was thinking of going with the WRT600N because it has dual-radio and the school has more microwaves (1-2) per classroom then it will APs and these are used constantly throughout the day. The teacher computers have 802.11n 5ghz capabilities.

My question is I've looked into WDS which looks promising but the WRT600N does not support it and I'm thinking that if I flash it with DD-WRT that I will lose Dual-Radio abilities. Also WDS splits the wireless bandwidth and I think that client connections to the local server would slow right down.

Any recommendations? I'm wondering if it's worth running Ethernet to each Wireless AP or not? And how would I make it seamless if each Wireless router has an individual connection to the switch.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
taekat
Loading thread data ...

Why?

Not, it's not. You waste half the bandwidth using WDS.

Yes, that's absolutely something to implement.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.