CISCO CATALYST 3560 Slow file opening

Hello,

I have installed a new Cisco Catalyst 3560 Switch at the main office, we have 5 more remote branches that connect via full point to point T1 Lines, after the new swtich was installed it takes probably 2 or 3 minutes to open an excel file with a size of 900Kb at a remote location. QOS was enabled but not configured on the router and at that time it would take 5 minutes to open or save an excel file with a size of 900kb. Is there another setting that could be changed, currently the two routers that connect the remote offices are connected directly to the switch and trunking is enabled on those ports. I am new to swtiches but not routers and just don't know what else I can do to speed things up at the remote offices. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance! Igor Pinchevskiy

Reply to
Igor Pinchevskiy
Loading thread data ...

I have a really hard time believing this is the router/switch and not the application you are using. Is this simply a windows share where you are opening, updating, and saving a file? If so, the times you are talking about are completely related to the application layer and not the network. While you wont get a full 192 kilobytes on a t1, you should at least get 180, and downloading a 900 kb file should take

5-10 seconds. Try a ftp and see what kind of speeds you get to verify. If this ends up showing you getting 150-190k, then your problem is your application, not a WAN link.

Lastly, this is definitely not a switch problem. 3560s have gig, and the problem you describe is wan based, or application based...period.

Reply to
Trendkill

Check for duplex mismatches.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Ahh forgive my assumption. If this is slow for LAN clients, then Walter is of course on the right track. I made a probably bad assumption that this was your 5 remote sites.

Reply to
Trendkill

Thank you guys for all of your inputs!!!

Trendkill, you were right it was an application issue. Symantec AV, once I excluded the xls and doc extensions everything started working like it was. I didn't realize that we switch to symantec and that this could cause this issue. Once again thank you all!!!

Reply to
Igor Pinchevskiy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.