Cisco BGP router recommendation

Hello,

We are considering moving to BGP on our border Internet router. It would have two full load-balanced DS3 connections to our upstream provider. Would a Cisco 7206VXR with an NPE-400 and 512MB RAM be sufficient horsepower?

Thanks for any help!

Todd

Reply to
toddmueller
Loading thread data ...

If you don't need to buy for expandability but just want to get the most bang for the buck, I'd seriously consider the 3825 or 3845. They take a gig of RAM, too.

Regards, Patrick

Reply to
Patrick M. Hausen

i suspect the issue for memory is how big a routing table you plan to use - if all you get is a default route down each path then memory will not be a problem.

Cisco thruput of different routers

formatting link
the 3845 is higher thruput than 720x / NPE-400.

the interfaces are a bit cheaper on the 3845 as well.

Also - last time i checked the 3845 was the smallest / cheapest box that can take dual power supplies.

flip side is there are lots of 7200s around, so probably easier to find one without buying new....

Reply to
stephen

We are using 3845's here - as they are quite new routers beware that the software is very buggy. We have had problems with certain Interfaces not being useable and a major OSPF bug causing 100% cpu load. TAC were working on our case for weeks....

You may not experience the same problems however personally I wished we had gone with 7206's.

James

Reply to
James

Reply to
toddmueller

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.