Cisco LEAP on Windows Vista

Hello:

Since Windows Vista has no native ability to use the Cisco LEAP protocol, which my school requires for access to its campus-wide WiFi network, I was forced to turn to third-party software, as I did while running Windows XP Professional, SP2. I use a Cisco AiroNet 350 series PCMCIA card for access. Since I have a ThinkPad T23, I loaded IBM?s AccessConnections package, which supports LEAP, and the Cisco AiroNet Client Utility.

Neither of these packages worked under Vista! AccessConnections was able to load and operate, but had no apparent affect on the wireless connection and could not ?power on? the wireless radio. The AiroNet client utility worked only in compatibility mode for Windows 98/ME and even then brought up a message proclaiming that ?No client adapters were found.?

With that, there was no way I could connect to my campus?s network. This would be a BIG post-platform migration problem for any of the thousands of UA students who are using Cisco?s AiroNet 350 Series PC Cards to access the internet while on campus.

The card DOES connect to open, non-secure wireless networks.

Our campus network is made of the following:

580 Cisco Model 350s

400+ Cisco 1200 Series APs upgraded to wireless B/G

Reply to
Forrest Scott Brinkley
Loading thread data ...

There's a reason MS doesn't support LEAP. It can be cracked with a brute force dictionary attack. Even Cisco doesn't trust LEAP for security:

Have you considered dumping LEAP and using one of the other supported authentication protocols?

Sorry, I don't have a solution for making LEAP supplicants work with MS Vista.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Unfortunately, the university I attend requires LEAP authentication. That kind of eliminates the other protocols :) I would just like the Cisco ACU or at least ThinkVantage AccessConnections to work with Vista so I can use the required LEAP.

Scott

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Reply to
Forrest Scott Brinkley

CSSC (nee Meetinghouse Aegis) supports LEAP, and will run on Vista, some time after Vista comes out next year.

There is no new development being done on the 350/ACU however, so it's highly improbable that ACU will be updated to work with Vista, and moderately improbable that the 350 driver will be so updated.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.