BGP Routing/Weighting based on Source/Location

We have locations in two seperate cities connected by a single DS3. Each location has its own Internet connections and multiple edge routers. Both locations are also part of the same AS in BGP.

I'm looking for an easy way to have traffic originating in location A prefer to go out to the Internet via location A's bandwidth and the same for location B. In otherwords, I want to reduce some of the traffic that is traversing our DS3 for the sole purpose of going out the other city's Internet connections.

This seems to me like I would have to weight traffic based on source address and I'm not finding much help online.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Scott
Loading thread data ...

What IGP are you using? You basically need to have a better default route advertised in A to A, and a better default route advertised in B to B. All depends how you are redistributing or advertising into your IGP......need more info.

If its strictly BGP, you can probably get away with setting route maps to networks advertised across the DS3. Ensure that the default route coming from the remote site is given a higher metric than that of the local default route. Same w/ vice versa. Honestly you can probably set all the routes coming across the DS3 from each side as higher metric, as they will still be more specific for actual networks that you are own, and it won't matter that they are a higher metric.

Reply to
Trendkill

Reply to
Scott

Route maps where you set the metric. You set route maps in the neighbor statements and then use the route maps to set metrics on all routes to that neighbor. Works in EBGP, not sure if/how it changes w/ IBGP.

formatting link

Reply to
Trendkill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.