Cisco 851W - No SSID Broadcast?

Hello all! I just bought a 851W integrated services router, (nice little unit!) - however, this thing is NOT showing up in my wireless network list (on my client pc). The only thing I can figure, is that it's not broadcasting it's SSID. I'm an old school IOS CLI guy, but this is the first time I have used a device that had a dot11 interface (wireless), so I can't make heads or tails about where to check this out. Can anyone help me with this? I would be glad to use the SDM Express (http gui interface) - but I can't see to find anything of use here either! Any suggestion? Is it just not broadcasting, or am I missing something else in my setup? Thanks to all who respond!!!

-Mike

Reply to
ponga
Loading thread data ...

never worked with a 851W, better check the manual. all APs that ship from Cisco now have the radio disabled by default, not sure if the ISR works the same or not though.

Barry

Reply to
BG

Ya know, I would not have posted had I been able to find an IOS command reference anywhere on the net (cisco.com or otherwise) - but alas, my search was fruitless. And this little guy ain't like a 2500 series router... I mean there are a LOT of commands in this IOS... in other words it's definatly the hard way just to fumble around. I still was not able to find where to turn on or off the broadcast ssid feature. But my issue is now resolved.... against all logic, I reloaded the IOS (rebooted) and what do you know? The ssid was broadcasting, so there you have it. Thanks for the reply,

-Mike

Reply to
ponga

Try adding the command "guest-mode" under the SSID configuration.

Cheers,

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Melbourne

~ In article , ~ ponga wrote: ~ > Hello all! ~ >

~ > I just bought a 851W integrated services router, (nice little ~ > unit!) - however, this thing is NOT showing up in my wireless network ~ > list (on my client pc). The only thing I can figure, is that it's not ~ > broadcasting it's SSID. I'm an old school IOS CLI guy, but this is the ~ > first time I have used a device that had a dot11 interface (wireless), ~ > so I can't make heads or tails about where to check this out. Can anyone ~ > help me with this? I would be glad to use the SDM Express (http gui ~ > interface) - but I can't see to find anything of use here either! Any ~ > suggestion? Is it just not broadcasting, or am I missing something else ~ > in my setup? ~ >

~ > Thanks to all who respond!!! -Mike ~ ~ Try adding the command "guest-mode" under the SSID configuration. ~ ~ Cheers, ~ ~ Matt

If adding guest-mode to broadcast the SSID doesn't solve the problem, then you may be encountering this:

CSCej57894 Externally found moderate defect: Resolved (R) ISR router does not broadcast SSID which is fixed in 12.4(2)T4 12.4(4)T2 12.4(5.11)T.

Regards,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.