Can Host Try Connecting Even With No SSID?

Some columnist at PCWorld recommended "increasing the security" of the wireless router against unwanted connections by removing the option of broadcasting the SSID.

But that means on my host running WinVistaHomePrem, I have to type in the SSID and network key/passphrase every time, which for me is an annoyance.

Isn't there a way of getting my host to persist in connecting with "Unnamed Network" which has the strongest signal of all available wireless networks? Or is this just the price I have to pay for "extra security"?

Reply to
mavigozler
Loading thread data ...

Put the SSID back. It's so easy to sniff out the SSID that there's no point in this. Just make sure you're using WPA with a strong passphrase.

Reply to
PS

That doesn't sound right to me.

I don't broadcast my ssid, but that does not require the passphrase to be rekeyed every time - under xp and Ubuntu.

All you should have to do is key in the known ssid name and the passphrase once and the PC should retain that information.

There's something screwy with your setup or the way you are using it.

While not broadcasting the ssid will not prevent sniffer porgrams detecting yhe network, it will quite often make the address invisible to ordinary network connection software as supplied with wifi adaptors.

Cheers

Rob

Reply to
me here

XP which is fully updated and Vista have a checkbox in network properties called "connect even if the network is not broadcasting" and this must be checked.

Reply to
LR

LR wrote in alt.internet.wireless:

With my Vista interface, once a successful connection is made giving the SSID and the key/passphrase authentication, the user is presented with TWO checkboxes:

"Save this network"

and the "Start this connection automatically"

In saving the network, it saves it to a list of all successfully connected networks.

But here is the bizarre thing: when Vista sees an available wireless network broadcasting its SSID, say it's "MyWirelessNet" and it is in the list, it connect and even adds a new listing entry "MyWirelessNet 2" and it increments each time, despite it being the same network!!

And the same goes for each time I manually connect by giving the SSID and passphrase...it creates a new entry in the wireless networks successfully connected table.

I am at a loss to know how Vista arrives at this.

What Vista should be doing is connecting to the network, finding it as the name in the previously connected networks, and NOT presenting me with an interface asking me to "Save this network" when it has already been saved.

This seems to be a Vista flaw, among tens of thousands.

Reply to
mavigozler

Have you checked the box I referred to? Some wireless adapters will not work properly with Vista's method of handling hidden SSID's. "Currently there are several widely-distributed WLAN drivers which either do not support or do not work properly with the Vista method of dealing with non-broadcast SSIDs, including the Intel 3945ABG and the Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapters.

The Intel 3945ABG adapter is very widely distributed in current laptop models. The latest Intel driver provides improvement but does not address all issues with hidden SSIDs encountered when roaming or resuming from hibernation.

Broadcom does not show any unnamed networks, and they are not planning to fix this. One of the reasons, besides being low priority for them, is also to push customers to stop hiding the SSID, which creates a problem instead of solving it."

Reply to
LR

Yes, turn SID broadcasting back on. What you read is just the nonsense that "expert columnists" just keep repeating to fill space. Turning off SSID broadcasting just causes more trouble for you (as you found) and those within range of your router.

Reply to
George

LR wrote in alt.internet.wireless:

Now you can understand why I posted my problem to here....to learn about the very things you are telling me in your response.

My notebook is the HP Pavilion dv9500t which comes the the Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN. You listed a bunch of exceptions and I suppose I would guess that my wireless adapter is part of them.

From you and others, I have heard enough to believe that stopping the broadcast of the SSID is not really a security enhancement and fully an annoyance.

Thanks.

Reply to
mavigozler

Agreed. You may, however, want to use a name that doesn't have meaning outside the intended users. If you'd rather not have J.Random Idiot seeing the network name and see it as an interesting target for abuse.

It's a shame there's not a standard way for a wifi network to 'publish' identifying information. You could, of course, use hotspot software to present a splash page. But not all routers support it.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.