Cisco SDM Java Applet StackOverflowError

Note: Crossposted to and

My Cisco 877 router provides a Java applet in a web interface for configuring and monitoring the router. This is Cisco SDM version 2.3.

On one notebook PC this works fine. On another desktop PC I get a StackOverflowError and the applet never opens it's window.

Previously I used SDM Express, which worked fine on the desktop PC which doesn't run SDM. (I upgraded SDM Express to SDM in the router in order to be able to configure router features not supported in SDM Express.)

Both PCs run Windows XP. Both have a Sun Java Runtime (JRE). I have tried both IE 7 and Mozilla Firefox 1.5.

The notebook has JRE 1.5.0_06. The desktop has JRE 1.5.0_09, I tried upgrading to 1.5.0_10, same problem.

The Java console reports ...

Requesting URL: http://webrouter/archive/flash:common/common/jploader.jarException in thread "AWT-EventQueue-3" java.lang.StackOverflowError at sun.java2d.Disposer.add(Unknown Source) at sun.java2d.Disposer.addRecord(Unknown Source) at Method) at Source) at Source) at sun.awt.Win32GraphicsConfig.createSurfaceData(Unknown Source) at Source) at Source) at Source) at java.awt.Component.reshapeNativePeer(Unknown Source) at java.awt.Component.reshape(Unknown Source) at java.awt.Component.setBounds(Unknown Source) at java.awt.Component.resize(Unknown Source) at java.awt.Component.setSize(Unknown Source) at java.awt.BorderLayout.layoutContainer(Unknown Source) at java.awt.Container.layout(Unknown Source) at java.awt.Container.doLayout(Unknown Source) at tea.set.Scroller.doLayout(Unknown Source) at java.awt.Container.validateTree(Unknown Source) at java.awt.Container.validate(Unknown Source) at tea.set.Scroller.aeH(Unknown Source) at tea.set.Scroller.aeH(Unknown Source) at tea.set.Scroller.aeH(Unknown Source) at tea.set.Scroller.aeH(Unknown Source) at tea.set.Scroller.aeH(Unknown Source) The last mesage is repeated many times, possibly hundreds.

I am not sure if this is a bug in the Cisco SDM applet (which works fine on the laptop) or in my JRE (which ran SDM Express OK).

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Ian Wilson
Loading thread data ...

Note: Follow-up set to, feel free to widen the follow-up address if it suits you. ...

Even as part of the debugging, I would suggest setting up a web start test for the applet.

It removes the browser (largely) from the picture, and gives more control over choice of JRE.

Andrew T.

Reply to
Andrew Thompson

Have you tried an older version of JRE? Many of Cisco's java applets cause problems with the latest versions of the JRE. 1.3.x seems to preferred by Cisco.

Check the release notes, they might have something to say about that.

Reply to

That looks like a recursion error. Whatever tea.set.Scroller.aeH is it is calling itself recursively and not returning, resulting in a stack overflow.

I have never heard of tea.set.Scroller.aeH (and neither has Google), it's not part of the Java release. That's most likely where the problem lies.

Reply to
Nigel Wade

I suspect it is part of a widget set called "Tea Set" developed long ago by a company known as isoft who now appear to be defunct.

I'll have to wait until Cisco redevelop SDM then :-)

Reply to
Ian Wilson

Aha! There are no release notes on the Cisco SDM CD but it does have a "JRE" subdirectory which contains a file named jre-1_5_0_06-windows-i586-p.exe

So it looks like you are right and I must ensure SDM is run under JRE


My desktop PC has various JRE's including 1.5.0_06 but both my web browsers are using the latest JVM I've installed.


- uninstall more recent versions of Java & reinstall 1.5.0_06 browser plugins. Ugh!

- use JWS? when installed on a PC, SDM is started from a nasty tangle of html, shtml and other files that make a lot of use of Javascript, rewriting URLs etc. The classes are bundeled up in .sqz files and there is a special class that I guess loads the app from these. AIUI JWS is mostly for apps not applets and runs applets via a AppletViewer that has some limitations. I think my chances of success are low and it would be a long hard struggle. Ugh!

- find a way to change the JRE version used by the browser. I've googled but not found any clues how I might do this.

I think I'll give in, I'll use the laptop PC that has the right version of JRE and be careful not to update Java on that PC!

Thanks to all for the help.

Reply to
Ian Wilson Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.