Cisco 7200 Console port not functioning

Hi all,

I have a cisco 7200 that I was conected to a few days via Hyperterm and everything as wrking fine.

Now when I boot the box it boots with a consol cable attached I am able to see the boot process but when I get to the stage where it says press return to continu the keyboard functions do not seem to be working.

I have reseated all cards in the system as I thought this may be causing a problem with the console port.

If I use the same cable and connector to connect to another router it works fine. The cable is one of the silver ones.

Here is a Screen dump of the boot process:)

System Bootstrap, Version 12.1(20000914:181332) [bwhatley-npe200 102], DEVELOPMENT SOFTWARE Copyright (c) 1994-2000 by cisco Systems, Inc. C7200 platform with 98304 Kbytes of main memory

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC= CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Self decompressing the image : ###########################################################################= ###########################################################################= ###########################################################################= ######################################################################### [OK]

%SYS-4-CONFIG_NEWER: Configuration from version 12.1 may not be correctly understood Can't set restart-delay for this interface Can't set restart-delay for this interface Can't set restart-delay for this interface Can't set restart-delay for this interface %SYS-6-BOOT_MESSAGES: Messages above this line are from the boot loader. Self decompressing the image : ###########################################################################= ###########################################################################= ###########################################################################= ###########################################################################= ###########################################################################= ###########################################################################= ###########################################################################= ###########################################################################= ###########################################################################= ###########################################################################= ###########################################################################= ###########################################################################= ######## [OK]

Restricted Rights Legend

Use, duplication, or disclosure by the Government is subject to restrictions as set forth in subparagraph (c) of the Commercial Computer Software - Restricted Rights clause at FAR sec. 52.227-19 and subparagraph (c) (1) (ii) of the Rights in Technical Data and Computer Software clause at DFARS sec. 252.227-7013.

cisco Systems, Inc. 170 West Tasman Drive San Jose, California 95134-1706

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software IOS (tm) 7200 Software (C7200-IS-M), Version 12.1(8a)E, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) TAC Support:

formatting link
(c) 1986-2001 by cisco Systems, Inc. Compiled Mon 09-Jul-01 01:26 by hqluong Image text-base: 0x60008950, data-base: 0x61152000

cisco 7204 (NPE150) processor (revision B) with 81920K/16384K bytes of memory. Processor board ID 5117097 R4700 CPU at 150Mhz, Implementation 33, Rev 1.0, 512KB L2 Cache

4 slot midplane, Version 1.0

Last reset from power-on Bridging software. X=2E25 software, Version 3.0.0.

4 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s) 4 Serial network interface(s) 9 ATM network interface(s) 125K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory. 1024K bytes of packet SRAM memory.

16384K bytes of Flash PCMCIA card at slot 1 (Sector size 128K).

4096K bytes of Flash internal SIMM (Sector size 256K).

Press RETURN to get started!

If I press RETURN here I get no response

Thanks in advance for the help

Reply to
mdk
Loading thread data ...

Could it be that you have changed the settings of your terminal program? It should be configured to HW Handshake, no XON/XOFF ... also, could the cable be damaged? And lastly, did you try to hook the cable to the AUX port and see if you could do anything on it? (only works after the router is fully up)

-gg

Reply to
Garry

Yea I have a Cisco 4500 just above the 7200 and when I connect the cable to that it works fine so I am assuming the cable is fine but I will try a new one just to see.

If I try to use the break sequence when the 7200 is booting I do not get into the router. It seems like the video output from the console port is working fine but the imput is not functioning.

All the settings are the same as they were last week for terminal program.

M
Reply to
mdk

Some hardware flavors are move finicky then others. Try a different program like Tera Term. Make sure your flow control is set to NONE.

Reply to
Hansang Bae

Yea I have tried the following

New cables and new connectors. New telnet program Reseated all cards and interfaces All Different settings in Terminal program

Booted without boot memory to force to go into boot mode

After doing all of these things I still have the same problem that I see the system booting but I am unable to interact with the Router via the keyboard and Console port.

What is the likleyhood that there is a hardware malfunction on the console port on the router that is not letting test be recieved from my computer?

M
Reply to
mdk

It's always possible. But as I recall, the model you're talking about didn't have ISDN near the console port. That's how most people blow out the console port. But if you tried all of the above (*including* changing flow control to NONE), then it must be bad hardware.

Reply to
Hansang Bae

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.