please help with a funky IOS install

I've got a 1720 that I want to use a "Single-Port Ethernet WIC" (Cisco WIC-1ENET) with. So I put the WIC into Slot 0, but my IOS didn't know what it is. My IOS was too old so I needed a new IOS (which I have), called "c1700-y-mz.122-4.T1.bin".

I'm talking to this 1720 with HyperTerminal. I erased everything I could discover as eraseable (nvram, flash), power cycled the router, and ended up at the rommon. Eventually I figured out xmodem to get the .bin file onto the flash with "xmodem -cyx 122-4.T1.bin" and have HyperTerm send over the IOS file.

All this seemingly goes well, the xmodem completes without errors. So then I have it "reset" and here's what it does (my questions are below)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

System Bootstrap, Version 12.0(3)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) Copyright (c) 1999 by cisco Systems, Inc. C1700 platform with 16384 Kbytes of main memory

program load complete, entry point: 0x80008000, size: 0x3a6a38 Self decompressing the image : ################################################# ################################################################################ ################################################################################ ################################################################################ ################################################################################ ################################################################################ ########### [OK]

Hello from IFS_TYPE_ROM successful type-check

%SYS-6-BOOT_MESSAGES: Messages above this line are from the boot loader. boot of "rom" using boot helper "flash:122-4.T1.bin" failed error returned: rom loadprog: error - on file open boot: cannot load "rom"

System Bootstrap, Version 12.0(3)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) Copyright (c) 1999 by cisco Systems, Inc. C1700 platform with 16384 Kbytes of main memory

program load complete, entry point: 0x80008000, size: 0x3a6a38 Self decompressing the image : ################################################# ################################################################################ ################################################################################ ################################################################################ ################################################################################ ################################################################################ ########### [OK]

Restricted Rights Legend

Use, duplication, or disclosure by the Government is subject to restrictions as set forth in subparagraph (c) of the Commercial Computer Software - Restricted Rights clause at FAR sec. 52.227-19 and subparagraph (c) (1) (ii) of the Rights in Technical Data and Computer Software clause at DFARS sec. 252.227-7013.

cisco Systems, Inc. 170 West Tasman Drive San Jose, California 95134-1706

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software IOS (tm) C1700 Software (C1700-Y-M), Version 12.2(4)T1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) TAC Support:

formatting link
(c) 1986-2001 by cisco Systems, Inc. Compiled Thu 25-Oct-01 18:52 by ccai Image text-base: 0x800080E0, data-base: 0x80738BD8

cisco 1720 (MPC860) processor (revision 0x301) with 13927K/2457K bytes of memory . Processor board ID JAD03244222 (2971443916), with hardware revision 0000 M860 processor: part number 0, mask 32 Bridging software. X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.

1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s) 1 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s) 32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory. 4096K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Press RETURN to get started!

00:00:04: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0, changed state to up 00:00:04: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from memory by console 00:00:04: %SYS-5-RESTART: System restarted -- Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software IOS (tm) C1700 Software (C1700-Y-M), Version 12.2(4)T1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) TAC Support:
formatting link
(c) 1986-2001 by cisco Systems, Inc. Compiled Thu 25-Oct-01 18:52 by ccai 00:00:04: %SNMP-5-COLDSTART: SNMP agent on host RAP_DSL is undergoing a cold start 00:00:05: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0, changed state to down 00:00:05: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Ethernet0, changed state to administratively down 00:00:06: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Ethernet0, changed state to down

----------------------------------------------------------------------

So exactly what is up with the first boot attempt that gives me this message...

Hello from IFS_TYPE_ROM successful type-check

%SYS-6-BOOT_MESSAGES: Messages above this line are from the boot loader. boot of "rom" using boot helper "flash:122-4.T1.bin" failed error returned: rom loadprog: error - on file open boot: cannot load "rom"

I'm a newb but I guess this is some sort of boot order of operations, where this (above, the first attempt) is failing (for some reason), but the second alternate attempt is "working". But I don't know why the first one fails (or how it's different). And I don't know a way to tell the router to "remember" the "one that works" and boot from it straight away next time.

But at least it actually sees the WIC (Ethernet0), so I hope I'm making progress. I don't understand why the flash .bin fails, but then works, and why it decompresses it twice on every reset/boot sequence.

Reply to
1388-2/HB
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.