Configuring VLAN in 6500 Switch

Hello all,

I have a Catalyst 6506 that I use for my connection out to the outside world. My external interface has a routable IP address, and is set up for NATting. I have multiple VLAN interfaces configured as non- routable networks, and are also configured for NATting, so that when someone on one of these networks goes out to the internet, it uses the IP address of the external interface. This all works fine, but here's my question:

I would like to set up a "routable" VLAN... that is, a VLAN that uses routable addresses rather than non-routable ones. There's a few instances where users need a routable IP address (for IPSec tunnels and such), and I'd like to consider tackling the problem this way rather than configuring static NATs. Can this be done? How would I configure the VLAN's network? The network my external interface is on is a /26 network, so I'd need this "routable" VLAN to use IP addresses from the same network. Would I simply break the routable /26 network into an even smaller network for this VLAN? Is it even worth doing things this way as opposed to just configuring static NATs?

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!!! -- BTR

Reply to
Bryan
Loading thread data ...

Bryan,

Do you have your 6500 switch in Native or in Hybrid mode (do you have just IOS or CatOS/IOS combination)? If you have it in Hybrid mode, then you configure VLANs in CatOS, and then IP Interfaces in IOS. In this case you just assign other ports into the "public" VLAN. Just make sure you either assign static IP addresses or provide DHCP for these computers. If you have the switch in Native mode, then it depends on how your "public" interface (port) is configured. If port is configured as pure Layer3 interface, then you need to create VLAN, change port to "switching" mode, and create corresponding VLAN Interface. If your "public" port is already in "switching" mode, then you just assign other ports to the same VLAN. For example:

Hybrid:

CatOS set vlan 100 3/1-10

MSFC int vl 100 ip addr 12.1.2.3 255.255.255.192 ...

Native:

int ran fa3/1 - 10 swi swi mod acc swi acc vl 100

int vl100 ip addr 12.1.2.3 255.255.255.292 ...

Good luck,

Mike CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, Cisco Voice, MCSE W2K, MCSE+I, Security+, etc. CCIE R&S (in progress), CCIE Voice (in progress)

------ Headset Adapters for Cisco IP Phones

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
headsetadapter.com

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have my switch in Native mode, and I believe my public interface is currently configured as a pure layer 3 interface. If I change my public interface to switching mode, will that affect any of the configurations I have right now? Such configurations I'm worried about disrupting is dynamic NATting, VLANs, DHCP, etc.

Thanks again for the help! -- BTR

Reply to
Bryan

Bryan,

If you change a port configuration from L3 to L2 mode, you have to copy everything you had configured under "interface fa X/XX" to an "interfave vlan XXX", and then change an interface to be an "access-port".

Good luck,

Mike CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, Cisco Voice, MCSE W2K, MCSE+I, Security+, etc. CCIE R&S (in progress), CCIE Voice (in progress)

------ Headset Adapters for Cisco IP Phones

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
headsetadapter.com

There is no difference between these two configurations on a multilayer switch as far as basic functionality goes:

interface FastEthernet 4/6 switchport switchport access vlan 12 interface Vlan 12 ip address 10.12.1.1

and

interface FastEthernet 4/6 no switchport ip address 10.12.1.1

Reply to
Scott Perry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.