6500 Switch, PoE & Linksys WAP4400N

Guys, quick question...

I have a Cisco 6500 Switch, with PoE...

I just installed a LinkSys WAP4400N WAP with uses PoE...

The WAP works great when the DC power is plugged in, but as soon as I unplug the power, the WAPs turn off... I have manually shutdown and started the ports that the WAPs are plugged into on the 6500... no luck...

PoE doesnt need to be "turned on" on the ports right? It should automatically send power no?

The ports show up as not connected when I unplug the power cable on the WAPs... on the LinkSys forums, one guy said to make the 6500 ports use 100MB speeds vs the GB speeds, which I have done... still no luck though... :-(

Anyone have any ideas? Please advise...

Thanks in advance...

Reply to
Chris H
Loading thread data ...

On Jul 20, 5:26 pm, Chris H wrote:

" Unable to Turn On Third-Party IP Phones

Catalyst switches provide comprehensive support for PoE for both Cisco

prestandard and the IEEE 802.3af standard. Third-party phones do not power up

when they are plugged into Catalyst 6500 Switches that run in the default

inline-power discovery mode of "cisco".

Change the inline-power discovery mode to "ieee" with use of the hidden

command

set port inlinepower mod/port discovery ieee

"

" POWERED-DEVICE POWER ALLOCATION

Each powered device requires power from the system power budget. The power-management software intelligently allocates the necessary power on a per-device basis. Because each device can have unique power requirements, the switch must be able to detect the device type and allocate power as accurately as possible. The switch uses either the default power allocation or the IEEE class structure to determine the initial amount of power to allocate to a particular powered device. Power allocation for Cisco devices can be further refined by using the Cisco Discovery Protocol. The Cisco Discovery Protocol is used for exchanging information between Cisco devices. As it applies to PoE, the Cisco Discovery Protocol is used to accurately determine the power requirements for each Cisco Discovery Protocol-enabled device. Cisco IP phones and wireless access points that are capable of accepting inline power can tell the switch how much power they need. This allows the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series to allocate the correct amount of power to the phone without over- or underallocating. Initially, the switch does not know how much power a phone will need, so it assumes it will need the user-configured default allocation. After the phone boots up, it sends a Cisco Discovery Protocol message to the switch with Type/Length/ Value (TLV) field information about how much power the device needs. At that point, the switch adjusts its original allocation and returns any remaining power to the system for use on other ports.

"

THE LINKSYS WAP will not send CDP protocol !!!

Also see

formatting link

on IOS use the command "show power inline"

try configuring the "power inline static max " command for the port that the WAP is connected to. Look up how much power WAP required and inserted in power inline command.

Reply to
Merv

[...]

Chris,

There are some great hints form Merv above. One thing to watch out for on the Cat6500 is that some older modules only support max 7.5W per port over the Cisco inline pre-standard power. If you're running CATOS, execute "show environment power" to find out what your module supports. Then check this against your Linksys manual to see if it's enough.

Hope this helps

James.

Reply to
James.Brown

802.3af is the standard for POE. As previously stated the old method of doing this was done through fast link pulse (FLP). The fast link pulse was transmitted on the TX pair and sent a FLP, if the connected device is PoE-capable, it returns this FLP back to the switch. Here is a great white paper that explains the entire process. With the old standard power is sent on same pins as data.
formatting link
quick question, why are you putting a Linksys WAP on arguably on of the most sophisticated switch on the market. Why not go with an Aironet? Not trying to sarcastic, just a question?
Reply to
gcave

All GREAT info guys... Im toying around with those commands now...

I have IP phones showing up when I "show power inline" I get: (one example)

Interface Admin Oper Power Device (Watts)

---------- ----- ---------- ------- ------------------- Gi8/47 auto off 0 n/a Gi8/48 auto on 7.1 cisco phone device (which I didnt have to power on, it did so automatically)

and the following;

6500switch#show power status module 1 Pwr-Requested Pwr-Allocated Admin Oper Slot Card-Type Watts A @42V Watts A @42V State State

---- ------------------ ------- ------ ------- ------ ----- -----

1 WS-X6K-SUP2-2GE 142.38 3.39 142.38 3.39 on on

6500switch#show power status module 2 Pwr-Requested Pwr-Allocated Admin Oper Slot Card-Type Watts A @42V Watts A @42V State State

2 WS-X6K-SUP2-2GE 142.38 3.39 142.38 3.39 on on

6500switch#show power status module 3 Pwr-Requested Pwr-Allocated Admin Oper Slot Card-Type Watts A @42V Watts A @42V State State

6500switch#show power status module 4 Pwr-Requested Pwr-Allocated Admin Oper Slot Card-Type Watts A @42V Watts A @42V State State

6500switch#show power status module 5 Pwr-Requested Pwr-Allocated Admin Oper Slot Card-Type Watts A @42V Watts A @42V State State

5 WS-X6148V-GE-TX 121.38 2.89 121.38 2.89 on on

6500switch#show power status module 6 Pwr-Requested Pwr-Allocated Admin Oper Slot Card-Type Watts A @42V Watts A @42V State State

6 WS-X6148V-GE-TX 121.38 2.89 121.38 2.89 on on

6500switch#show power status module 7 Pwr-Requested Pwr-Allocated Admin Oper Slot Card-Type Watts A @42V Watts A @42V State State

7 WS-X6148V-GE-TX 121.38 2.89 121.38 2.89 on on

6500switch#show power status module 8 Pwr-Requested Pwr-Allocated Admin Oper Slot Card-Type Watts A @42V Watts A @42V State State

8 WS-X6148V-GE-TX 121.38 2.89 121.38 2.89 on on

6500switch#show power status module 9 Pwr-Requested Pwr-Allocated Admin Oper Slot Card-Type Watts A @42V Watts A @42V State State

9 WS-X6148V-GE-TX 121.38 2.89 121.38 2.89 on on

As to why am I using the Linksys vs. Cisco AiroNet, thats easy... Budget! I couldnt get the extra price approved at this time :-(

Reply to
Chris H

Did you try the "power inline static..." interface command ?

Reply to
Merv

I cant enter power inline static...

6500switch(config-if)#power inline ? auto Automatically detect and power inline devices never Never apply inline power 6500switch#show interface Gi5/39 GigabitEthernet5/39 is up, line protocol is down (notconnect)

Port Name Status Vlan Duplex Speed Type Gi5/39 notconnect 31 full 100

10/100/1000BaseT

I have been going thru the owners manual looking for the watts this WAP should use, no luck...

Reply to
Chris H

1. What IOS version are you using - post output of show version?

2. what is the DC output shown on the AC adpater ?
Reply to
Merv

Cisco may not have implemented the "power inline static" command on the 6500 yet ...

They have on the Catalyst 3750 along with a power inline consumption command.

AFAIK the "power inline auto" will only work with Cisco devices

Reply to
Merv

6500switch#show ver Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software IOS (tm) c6sup2_rp Software (c6sup2_rp-PK2SV-M), Version 12.1(26)E1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2) Technical Support:
formatting link
(c) 1986-2005 by cisco Systems, Inc. Compiled Tue 22-Mar-05 07:52 by ccai Image text-base: 0x40008F90, data-base: 0x41A0A000

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(17r)S1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) BOOTLDR: c6sup2_rp Software (c6sup2_rp-PK2SV-M), Version 12.1(26)E1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

6500switch uptime is 10 weeks, 3 days, 20 minutes Time since 6500switch switched to active is 10 weeks, 3 days, 19 minutes System returned to ROM by power-on (SP by power-on) System restarted at 08:32:35 EDT Sat May 12 2007 System image file is "sup-bootflash:c6sup22-pk2sv-mz.121-26.E1.bin"

cisco WS-C6509-E (R7000) processor (revision 1.1) with 227328K/34816K bytes of memory. Processor board ID DWG0016N4VS R7000 CPU at 300Mhz, Implementation 39, Rev 3.3, 256KB L2, 1024KB L3 Cache Last reset from power-on X.25 software, Version 3.0.0. Bridging software.

3 Virtual Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s) 244 Gigabit Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s) 381K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory. 32768K bytes of Flash internal SIMM (Sector size 512K). Standby is up Standby has 227328K/34816K bytes of memory.

Configuration register is 0x2102

The AC Adapter of the WAP is output:

OUTPUT: 12V DC 1000mA

Reply to
Chris H

1. Apparently the 6500 WS-X6548V-GE-TX modules require a daughter card to provide IEEE 802.3af PoE support. Field upgradeable with WS-F6K-GE48-AF= daughter card

The Linksys WAP supports IEEE 802.3af PoE only

and they are not cheap !!!

1. 12000 milliwatts (OUTPUT: 12V DC 1000mA)

So currently, I would say you are out of luck...

If you need POE due to the location of the WAP, then I would look for a IEEE 802.3af power injector

Reply to
Merv

Linksys has a power injector - product code WAPPOE

see

formatting link

Reply to
Merv

Wow... I appreciate all your time that youve spent helping me with this one...

Ill order some of these infusers and see if they get the job done... $40 a pop... not bad...

Ill post up my results...

Thanks again Merv.

Reply to
Chris H

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.