Multiple secondary IPs on a Cisco 6500?

Is this possible with a Cisco 6506 switch? My question is: Can you use multiple (more than 1) secondary IPs on a VLAN interface?

Generic Example: interface Vlan999 ip address 1.2.3.1 255.255.255.0 ip address 1.2.3.10 255.255.255.0 secondary ip address 1.2.199.1 255.255.255.0 secondary ip address 1.2.200.1 255.255.255.0 secondary

Thanks,

Tristan Rhodes

Reply to
Tristan
Loading thread data ...

In article , Tristan wrote: :Is this possible with a Cisco 6506 switch? My question is: Can you :use multiple (more than 1) secondary IPs on a VLAN interface?

The 6506 as a *switch* does not have IP addresses for VLANs (except perhaps for the management vlan.)

The 6506 with a routing card in it that is supporting IOS allows multiple secondary IPs for VLAN interfaces [unless for some reason they removed that facility in a later IOS.]

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Hi,

For the Cat6k switch, you can run into the following mode:

1. Hybrid , A layer 2 box with Layer 3 MSFC (CatOS + IOS)
  2. Native IOS, A Layer 3 box where the sup and the MSFC driven by Naive IOS.

In Hybrid: The sup will have its own management sc0 interface. And the MSFC, is like a router, you can have different IP addresses assigned to different Layer 3 Vlan interfaces.

formatting link

Hope it helps,

Cheers, CC

Reply to
cc

If the 6506 has an MSFC and is running native IOS, that distinction is no longer true.

Nope, it's still possible.

Reply to
Francois Labreque

Yes, we have a supervisor card (MSFC2). I believe it is running in hybrid mode, since the switch part is running CatOS and the router part is running IOS.

Thanks for the information guys. We are converting from Avaya to Cisco equipment. It sounds like I will be able to use several (more than 2) IPs on a single VLAN interface.

Tristan Rhodes

Reply to
Tristan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.