Cheapest 3 Ethernet Router

I need to build a firewall between the outside and two inside networks. What is Cisco's least expensive router with 3 Ethernet interfaces?

I'm sure there are plenty of other router vendors that make a suitable substitute. Can anyone suggest one with excellent reliability? IOS-like command language would be nice but is not essential.

Reply to
Bob Simon
Loading thread data ...

Hi Bob,

You may wish to investigate the Cisco 1841 (List Price: $1,395)

formatting link
and the HWIC-1FE (List Price: $1,400)

formatting link
Hope this helps.

Brad Reese on Cisco Network World Magazine Cisco Subnet

formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Brad, Thank you very much. I will check with the client and see if he's willing to spend $2800. But I'm pretty sure that he'll ask me to find another solution.

Reply to
Bob Simon

You may wish to consider something in the PIX or ASA line.

If you have an inside router with VLAN support, then you could use as little as a PIX 506E, running the third interface as an 802.1Q VLAN on the inside physical interface. If you need three physical interfaces, the PIX-515E-R-DMZ-BUN can apparently be had for as little as $US2150 (Network Warehouse) though most places are ~$US2500.

The corresponding ASA model with multiple physical interfaces (that are not switched together) is the ASA5510 -- though it appears that the ASA 5505 with the Security Plus license could also do it. THe part numbers look to be ASA5505-SEC-BUN-K9 and and ASA5510-BUN-K9; looks like you can get the 5505-SEC for less than $US1100.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Check out Sonicwall. I like their firewalls and you can find one to do this, with a reasonable price tag. There is only a web based UI, so no IOS, but I do like the interface.

Hope that helps,

Jim

Reply to
Scooby
831 with the "DMZ port" feature or, better, an 871 (would need a featureset with multiple VLAN support I believe, see
formatting link

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.