Need MOBILE Broadband Router

I am looking for a router that can connect to wireless ISP's as I travel. Into that router I will hard plug (ie Cat5) 3 or 4 computers or other network devices.

All I find - and retail help is hopeless - are typical wireless routers that do the opposite of what I want. IE, they take a cabled ISP (cable/dsl) and broadcast to outlying computers.

I want to take my hard wire network, travel with it, and have it connect wirelessly to broadcast ISP's.

Thought I had it in this device:

802.11g FLASH-OFDM Mobile Broadband Router
formatting link
no retailer (store or online) has it. Netgear online store doesn't have it and queries by email get reurned saying contact presales help, which says it knows nothing about it.

Any suggestions very welcome.

Reply to
Albatross
Loading thread data ...

I use a double device.. a Wiflyer (/

formatting link
plugged into the WAN input port) AND a linksys WRT54G.. Gives me a full wireless network with multiple ways to access the internet, and I can use cell phone (shared over network, use dial up connections and ICS rather than any software the provider provides that blocks networking), i can use regular dialup (if I find a phone line), or dsl/cable/catx from a sat receiver etc...

Reply to
Peter Pan

Don't think this does what I need. Have read through the site and it appears this takes some sort or wired connection (ethernet from cable/dsl or dialup) and distributes wirelessly. That's the opposite of what I need. (unless I missed something in the description). I need to access a wireless ISP and distribute that connection to my cabled in computers.

Reply to
Albatross

That's where the second part comes in... (the part that starts "and I can

The linksys wap/router does all the dissemination no matter how it gets the info.. whether from dial-ip/dsl/cable/cell etc, it all works the same as far as the programs are concerned...you probably won't need the wiflyer part, but it is available if you ever need it. I use the cell and/or wifi bridged) over the network, but do NOT use the software provided by the cell phone companies, it disables any network sharing...

Reply to
Peter Pan

Take a look at the ValuePoint Networks SuperAP Dual Radio...

formatting link
not purchased this unit yet, but plan to do so. I own a yacht in theBVI and hope to have my own wireless network aboard. The nice thing aboutthis unit is that it has two 285mw radios -- one for long distancecommunicating with a hotspot, and the other providing a signal throughoutthe yacht. This is designed for outside mounting (mounting up the mast oron a spreader in my case) -- it is my understanding that you want minimaldistance between the antenna and access point. This unit also supportspower-over-ethernet (POE) which means I can run power to the mast mountingthrough the ethernet cable.The key is getting an amplified high gain omnidirectional antenna up high onthe mast. I am hoping for access at least three miles from a hotspot.My search was also frustrating until I started searching for outdoor dualradio access points, and found that they are fairly common, although moreexpensive than typical consumer router/access points. Another vendor isGeosat Solutions at
formatting link
but veryexpensive.

Reply to
Chubasco

Take a look at the ValuePoint Networks SuperAP Dual Radio...

formatting link
not purchased this unit yet, but plan to do so. I own a yacht in theBVI and hope to have my own wireless network aboard. The nice thing aboutthis unit is that it has two 285mw radios -- one for long distancecommunicating with a hotspot, and the other providing a signal throughoutthe yacht. This is designed for outside mounting (mounting up the mast oron a spreader in my case) -- it is my understanding that you want minimaldistance between the antenna and access point. This unit also supportspower-over-ethernet (POE) which means I can run power to the mast mountingthrough the ethernet cable. The key is getting an amplified high gainomnidirectional antenna up high on the mast. I am hoping for access atleast three miles from a hotspot. My search was also frustrating until Istarted searching for outdoor dual radio access points, and found that theyare fairly common, although more expensive than typical consumerrouter/access points. Another vendor is Geosat Solutions at
formatting link
but very expensive.

Reply to
Chubasco

To be clear, ruling out "dial-ip/dsl/cable/cell" what capability does this unit have to access a wireless ISP?

can > use cell phone (shared over network, use dial up connections and

Reply to
Albatross

To be extra extra clear, by "wireless ISP" I do not mean cellular. I mean wireless. Like from "hotspots".

Reply to
Albatross

Reply to
Albatross

It may depend on where you live... While most hotspots are very small in area, I was just outside spokane (wa) (rathdrum idaho) and the spokane skynet

formatting link
was about 250+ square miles in size. There may be other big hotspots in other areas.. Fraid I didn't check since there was already one where I live..

When at home, I use skynet, but when traveling (like now, I am at a hotel in Vegas), I use the cell. Any way I connect, It allows me to use wireless instead of extra cables, and the programs are always set the same way...

Again, depending on where you live, many schools have high speed internet for the stdents, and many will tell you who they use, and you may be able to "glom on"....

Reply to
Peter Pan
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

What you want is a client bridge.

Apple Airport Express with a small hub or switch.

Reply to
John Navas

Well, this looks promis "With wireless bridging, one AirPort Express Base Station can connect to another AirPort Express Base Station or an AirPort Extreme Base Station and use its Internet access."

My question, to be very specific: Can it act as a bridge when the wireless ISP it is connecting to is not an "airport" device but some other make/model/brand of community service transmitter?

I ask because the diagram shows it doing the opposite of what I need.

Once again the device has a _wired_ connection to the internet and b'casts it out to wireless receivers. I need a device that receives a wireless internet b'cast and pipes it to my wired network.

Can this device be used to receieve from community intenet b'casts and be Cat5 cabled to a router to distribute the signal to my computers?

Is there a device that can do so and take an external antenna? I need that capability.

Any info appreciated.

Reply to
Albatross

What you need is a *client bridge* (as I wrote). Any Wi-Fi compliant client bridge will work that (a) supports the desired protocol (a, b, or g); (b) can handle the security you need (e.g., WEP. WPA-PSK); and (c) can handle the number of client devices you want to connect (some client bridges support only one client device).

Several, including D-Link DWL-2100AP.

Reply to
John Navas

Great! Thanks for the lead. Could I trouble you for a couple more recommendations? Just want some alternatives to consider so I've got some choices in purchase.

"client bridge" ok got that term down now. :)

Reply to
Albatross
Reply to
John Navas

Thanks for the google. I can do that. But I was hoping for personal recommendations from you or anyone based on knowledge or experience with particular units. Capability, reliability, as known by users can be a better filter than manufacturer claims. But thanks for your time. You've clarified the type of device for me. Much appreciated.

..Actually, one specific question...

Do you know anything about this:

formatting link
R814XF.php

I found the page and it looks perfect for what I want to do. But nobody at Netgear acknowledges anything about it. Can't find on Netgear online store, and Netgear presales says "duh". Given your expertise just wondering if you have heard of it?

Reply to
Albatross

Why would you want FLASH-OFDM? That's not the same as Wi-Fi.

Instead, see

Reply to
John Navas

Your link is for a "Wireless Print Server"?

The link I posted is for a "mobile broadband router" described as being "802.11g-standard" and the pictures on the page show it doing exactly what I want (being a router that connects cabled in computers to a wireless ISP).

formatting link

This device is exactly what I'm looking for (having read the whole page and d/l the spec's. But nobody at Netgear knows (or acknowledges) anything about it or where it can be bought. Strange.

Reply to
Albatross

Read more carefully.

Nope.

Not at all strange. Read more carefully.

Reply to
John Navas

You may want to say where you are, and read the fine print about that product.... From

formatting link
"High-Level Capability NETGEAR's Wireless Mobile Broadband Router has a PC Card slot containing the Flarion 1000 PC Card as the reliable broadband connection to the Internet.

From the flarion site, they do *not* show the 1000 card, that is unique to that netgear product, and only works on nextel (as of dec 2005) in the RTP area of north carolina.

If that's where you are located, fine, otherwise look at their 2500 card/products that work in many other areas (they are partnered with qualcomm). otherwise check

formatting link

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.