Cat6509 - Update MSFC- SUP2

Hi all,

as I wrote in a last posting I should update a system with redundant SUP2 and MSFC FROM CAT OS to IOS. This is a cat 6509 with redundant sup2

My questions right now: For my understand the secondary SUP is inactive while updating the first one . But how did the secondary SUP know about the new system ? Is there any communication between the primary and secondary SUP while updating ?

And also I would like to hold the CAT OS with the working config on the secondary SUP if I need in a case of a update crash to change back !!

Thanks Udo

Reply to
udo
Loading thread data ...

This is one way: Pull out the secondary sup. Upgrade the first from catos to ios. When all is working ok, power down the 6509. Pull out the IOS sup, and put the catos sup back. Put power on, and upgrade from catos to ios. Then power off from 6509, put the first sup back, and power on.

Reply to
Make
  1. Check if you have enough space on your bootflash filesystem. If needed, delete old files and squeeze filesystem:

dir 1/ del 1/bootflash: sque 1/bootflash: dir 2/ del 2/bootflash: sque 2/bootflash:

1. Copy new CatOS image to first SUP2, then to second.

copy tftp 1/bootflash: copy tftp 2/bootflash:

1. Change boot variable for both SUP2.

set boot sys slash bootflash: prepend 1 set boot sys slash bootflash: prepend 2

1. If you need to upgrade MSFC2, you need to copy a new IOS image to both modules (In my case MSFCs are in SSO redundancy mode):

dir bootflash: del bootflash: sque bootflash: dir slavebootflash: del slavebootflash: sque slavebootflash: copy tftp bootflash: copy bootflash: slavrbootflash:

1. Change boot variable:

conf t no boot sys flash... (old boot command) boot sys flash bootflash: Ctrl-Z wr mem

1. Reboot whole switch (you may reboot SUP modules one by one, but in most cases you will have the same downtime due to line cards re-programming, as with a regular reboot).

Good luck,

Mike

-------- Cisco IP Phone Headset Adapters

formatting link

Reply to
headsetadapter.com

Hi ,

thanks for your detailed explanation.... but right now maybe you can also help me I want to upgrade to 'c6sup22-dsv-mz.12.1-26.E2.bin Now when I tried to download the image there comes a message I don't have access ?!?! But I our company have a gold partner status. Also I can download several other images ....

Maybe this image is no longer available !?!? I also think about to change to the 12.2 train....

Thanks

Udo

Make schrieb:

Reply to
udo

This image has : "Cisco engineering has identified at least one serious software issue with the release " But if you really want this version, download works from:

formatting link
I would recommend at least version 12.1.26E7.

Reply to
Make

This is the problem... I can't download this image with the feature set I need... I get an access denied..... but it is possible to download the enterprise feature set..what happens here ?

udo

formatting link

Reply to
udo

You should contact Cisco, there might be a problem with your account:

formatting link
Dont upgrade to enterprise feature set, you have to pay more. You can downgrade the feature set to SP SSH 3DES LAN ONLY, if you dont need ipx...and you have only lan modules. Do you have only IP? What modules you have?

formatting link
>

Reply to
Make

Yes, I need to contact cisco..but tommorow I need this software....

Also I will downgrade..because our customer dont need ipx anymore and e had only IP...

what do you mean with modules ? hardware modules ?

formatting link
>>

Reply to
udo

If you have only IP, and harware modules is only ethernet ports, the right feature set is service provider (12.1).

formatting link
> >>

Reply to
Make

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.