Catalyst 2950DC

"The Catalyst 2950G-24-EI-DC and Catalyst 2950ST-24 LRE 997 switches have an internal DC-powerconverter. It has dual feeds (A and B) that are diode-OR-ed into a single power block."

I have a 48VDC power supply and when i connect it to my switch, the switch continually power-on and off. I tried to connect only group A, only group B and group AB but i don't work.

What type of power supply i can connect ? Thanks.

Reply to
cyberbob_it
Loading thread data ...

You may wish to investigate Cisco Hardware Troubleshooting:

formatting link
If a faulty power supply locate the P/N on the power supply label to replace:

formatting link
Hope this helps.

Brad Reese BradReese.Com - Cisco Repair

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 AIM: R2MGrant BradReese.Com - Cisco Power Supply Headquarters
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

My power supply is a normal power supply 48 VDC with 2 cables (+ and -). My problem is that i don't know how i connect it to the catalyst that have 4 connector. I think that WS-2950G-EI-DC is used for telephony communication and PABX have 48VDC power. I must buy a power supply like pabx power supply to turn on the switch.

Bye

"

formatting link
" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
cyberbob_it

Contact Cisco TAC directly in Italy:

formatting link
They will guide you.

Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com Cisco Jobs Italy

formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Note, 48VDC devices are really -48VDC powered devices. Make sure you get polarity correct. The telco standard is to use -48V everywhere.

Otherwise, how big is your power supply? Make sure it can source enough amps (well, a switch probably isn't going to take more than an amp) out.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

"Doug McIntyre" ha scritto nel messaggio news:4544b597$0$34585$ snipped-for-privacy@auth.newsreader.octanews.com...

Thanks for your answer.

My Power Supply is 1 amp -48VDC and probably 1 amp is the problem. But in the rear panel of the switch there is this: -36 -72 VDC 1-0,5 A. Then i thought that my power supply is good. I can try to increase amp of my power supply with a NPN transistor and try to connect it to the switch.

However, these are specs on the manual: Power consumption 30W (102 Btus per hour) Power rating 0.05 kVA DC input voltage -36 to -72 VDC Branch circuit protection 5 A

Bye

Reply to
cyberbob_it

1A should do it. 0.05kVA at 110V is 0.5A.

What I read your ratings are that it can take DC input voltage anywhere from between -36V and -72V DC. Typically you'd have -48V DC.

And that it can take between 1A and 0,5A or written in the style the US uses, 0.5A. This is confirmed by the power rating of 0.05kVA which works out to be 0.5A. Not sure when it would be using 1A.

But, do make sure your polarity is correct, putting a voltmeter between your positive and negative terminals on the switch on the A terminal, make sure you read -48V DC.

Otherwise, its not very picky, or at least other Cisco DC powered stuff hasn't been. I haven't powered up a 2950 on DC before, although have for routers and DSLAMs and such.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Your DC power supply does not provide enough power to the switch, which is why it is constantly powering cycling. On the back of the unit it states it need 36v to 72v, 1A - .5A. This means that at 36V it requires 1 amp, and at

72v requires .5 amps, which is 36 volt-amps. Your power supply is 48V at .5 amps which is only 24 volt-amps.

Scott

Reply to
Thrill5

Thanks a lot for info. I verified that my power supply is a 0,27 amps. I'm searching for a 1 amps.

Bye

"Thrill5" ha scritto nel messaggio news:NN6dnf9oW7JSt9XYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
cyberbob_it

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.