c3750G and c3750E series stacking?

Hello there

Is it possible to stack c3750G (with EMI software) and c3750E (with SMI software).

I did not find answer from the documentation. Obviously it is ok to mix EMI and SMI images as far as the release is same.

thnx, Vuju

Reply to
JV
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Thrill5

Greetings,

It is possible (but not recommended) to run a different Level of S/W, but I don't think you can mix SMI/EMI in a stack. About 3 months ago I had the task of resolving a situation with one C3750G 2 way stack that was running not only a different LEVEL of Firmware but also a different version of Firmware (I kid you not). Both were EMI though... To recover from this I was forced to break the stack and manually correct the Slave Switch Boot config to match the Master, then join them again.

I wouldn't bet on that, although I haven't tried it. When you configure a stack you can boot each stack member from its own image or from a single source image, however the initial boot REQUIRES a suitable image in each switch to start with. If you have disparate images, your stack will refuse to join (and I have had that too).

Cheers....................pk.

Reply to
Peter

Mixing SMI and EMI is possible, I've configured this before. The EMI switch becomes the master and all stack members get the EMI functionality.

I would not do this in a two-switch-stack, though. If the EMI switch fails, you lose the EMI features. The one time I did this was a four-switch-stack, two with EMI, two with SMI.

One major drawback is that the master will not auto update the slave's IOS in this configuration.

Reply to
wayne

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.