3750 switch stacks

Couple of questions:-

Firstly and I think I know the answer, but anyway.

In a 3750 switch stack, do you have to run the EMI image on the stack master or can all the switches be running a SMI image?

And secondly

I have a 4 switch stack all 3750-48G-TS switches all have the same image running and the stack runs as it should, however when it is attempted to add two new 3750-48G-TS switches, the 5th gets added no problem, but adding the

6th causes the entire stack to 'lock up' this can only be rectified by rebooting both switches 5 and 6, hence these switches have not been added. Anyone got any thoughts on this? is it related to my first question about the EMI and SMI images?

Kind Regards Dave

Reply to
Khamelion
Loading thread data ...

AFAIK all images in a stack must be identical

Reply to
Merv

Didn't follow this thread so.......If your refering to the version then yes, the master will push the image to the rest on boot. If your refering to the feature set then no. It is very common to put a master EMI and a secondary EMI with the rest of the stack running SMI. The whole stack then takes on the EMI role. Cisco actualy recomends putting a 2nd EMI in a mixed stack to maintain full features in the event of a master failure.

Quote: The system-level features supported on the stack master are supported on the entire switch stack. If the switch stack must have switches running both standard multilayer image (SMI) and enhanced multilayer image (EMI) software, we recommend that a switch running the EMI software be the stack master. EMI features are unavailable if the stack master is running the SMI software.

formatting link

Reply to
Brian V

LOL - yeah unless you encounter one of the many IOS bugs like CSCeg74078

Reply to
Merv

Thanks for the replies, the answer to my first question is as I thought, as long as all the images are the same, as in for example 12.2(25)SEC it doesn't matter if the stack is a mixture of SMI and EMI, but if you have an EMI image it is best to have it as the master switch and then as Cisco recommends add a second switch with an EMI image as well.

How about the second question, has anyone come across a 4 switch stack dying when two further switches are added?

Cheers Dave

Reply to
Khamelion

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.