UDP small servers and qos

Hello all.

I'm trying to use Cisco IOS udp-small-servers to measure round-trip latency and packet loss. I'm sending the echo's from WAN-link (another site) and using the LAN address as a destination address. As we are running the voip from the far end I'm trying to measure, I need to get the UDP Echo-traffic also to the same policy map as the voip traffic.

Now it seems to work so, that the destination router is sending the answer packets (echoing them) right from the link interface and not routing them through the LAN-interface and VLAN's/policy maps as we would like to.

I cannot find ANY documentation regarding this kind of configuration, only a basic enable/disable the echo service.

Thank's,

Jannar.

Reply to
Jannar Molden
Loading thread data ...

Jannar,

If you want to use routers as sources/sinks of test data, then you should put them outboard of your systems-under-test.

i.e. do this:

[source]-{network-under-test}-[sink]

not this

{[some router [source]]-{cloud}-[[sink] some router]} ||

For using a router as a source/sink of data packets, one option is to use ttcp which is built into some feature sets.

formatting link
(This example violates my advice above, as it has the router under test act as a source of test data ... but that's OK because I wasn't testing the router's internal queueing technique.)

Cheers,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Yes, I have a separate hardware sending those UDP echo packets (source). My problem is how to manage the routing at the far end (Cisco IOS small-server as a destination). Now the destination IOS seems to reply directly from the WAN interface and I cannot do any policing/queuging for the reply traffic.

So my setup is like this:

[UDP echo src] ---- [WAN] ---- [IOS router with UDP echo server] ---- [VoIP VLAN and Data-VLAN]

I need to use IP DSCP 56 for those echo replies. My source is sending DSCP 56 just fine, and it's working across the WAN just fine.

Any hints?

Reply to
Jannar Molden

I'm sorry, you've lost me.

My point was that you should not expect to use one and the same IOS router simultaneously act as the source/sink of your test data and also to run data policing/queueing of that data.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Do you mean, that I should not try to use it or it's impossible? :-)

Reply to
Jannar Molden

~ >My point was that you should not expect to use one and the ~ >same IOS router ~ ~ Do you mean, that I should not try to use it or it's impossible? :-)

Well, by all means try it, but if it doesn't produce the expected results, then you should question the expected results.

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Perhaps just as important, even if it does produce the expected results, you should _still_ question the results.

Good luck and have fun!

Reply to
Vincent C Jones

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.