Native ipsec in 2.6 kernel and openS/WAN

I wanted to know which one is better and more optimized between Native ipsec in 2.6 kernel (linux) and openS/WAN Also which one contains more features? I have seen most of userspace utilities of openS/WAN or FreeS/WAN been ported to work with 2.6 native ipsec stack.is there any problem with that?

Thanks for any help

Reply to
guruteck
Loading thread data ...

I have run an Kernel 2.6 OpenS/WAN install with out any problems. As I understood it, First there was FreeS/WAN, and then OpenS/WAN broke off / evolved from there. Both (Free|Open)S/WAN had their own native IPSec stack that they could use. In fact, I believe that FreeS/WAN had an IPSec stack before the Linux Kernel had a native IPSec stack. Once the Linux kernel included an IPSec stack you needed user space tools to configure / administer / run which ever IPSec stack that was in the kernel. I also believe that it is possible (or was as of about 6 - 9 months ago) to run OpenS/WAN's (or even FreeS/WAN's outdated / unmaintained?) IPSec stack if you would like. Either way, you need user space tools. You can get those user space tools from (Free|Open)S/WAN for Linux, or from FreeBSD's Racoon project (if that is the correct name). My main question is whether or not OpenS/WAN still maintains an IPSec stack or not and what the differences between it and the native 2.6 stack. However that is what you are asking.

I'm unable to directly give you information on which is (technically) better than the other. However, I do not believe that any single entity is used by its self but rather in conjunction with some other one.

I can personally attest to the native IPSec stack in Kernel 2.6 with OpenS/WAN user space tools.

Sorry, I don't have an answer, per say, for you, but I hope that I did give you some information to help you find your own answer. By the way, I'd be interested in hearing what your answer is when you do get one.

Grant. . . .

Reply to
Taylor, Grant

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.