arrow key problem with 2610

hello,

my computer is connected to line 34 of the 2610 terminal server (rs232). my computer is running HyperTerminal (and i've tried using HyperTerminal private edition and ProComm plus). on my computer i hit ENTER to get the

2610 login prompt. i enter name and password and i receive the 2610 cli prompt. at the cli prompt i type "telnet 10.4.60.94" to connect to a remote host. the connection is successful. however, the arrow keys do not appear to be being passed to the remote host properly.

my computers terminal application is set to VT100. the 2610 line 34 terminal-type is set to VT100.

i've used telnet (command prompt) to connect to the 2610 terminal server via ethernet, logging on, receiving the cli prompt, and entering "telnet

10.4.60.94", connecting to the remote host, AND the arrow keys function as they should.

i know hyper terminal has issues with the arrow keys, that's why i've tried other terminal applications. somewhere in the relationship between my computer (rs232) and the 2610 the arrow keys are being screwed up.

thank you for suggestions,

mike.

Reply to
some guy
Loading thread data ...

Hi Mike,

Sure, your terminal emulator thinks that it's a VT100, and your 2610 thinks it's a VT100 - but does your HOST know that it's a VT100? And does your host know what a VT100 *is*?

If the host is VMS, try "show term".

If the host is Unix, try "echo $TERM". Then look for that terminal type in ttycap or termcap or whatever the heck it is that Unix does in the 21st century.

As far as how this is supposed to work ... the terminal (PC) just sends characters over the async line. The router just passes those characters on to the telnet connection. Here are some things that can be messed up:

1. VT100 arrow keys transmit multiple characters. For example, an up-arrow sends "[A". When the host receives an , it will typically set a timer and see if can receive more input characters that are part of an escape-sequence. If the timer pops and a valid escape-sequence has not been received, then your arrow operation loses.

This is probably not your problem.

1. Some arrow keys (not VT100, but VT200 and above) can be set in 8-bit-mode, where, rather than transmitting {blah} sequences, they would transmit a sequence starting with an 8-bit character. For example, up-arrow could be A instead (saving an entire character per up-arrow.)

This is probably not your problem.

1. The router does NOT negotiate or know in any way what kind of terminal you are. But if you configure the line with a "terminal-type", then if you make a telnet connection from that line, the router will tell the host that that is its terminal type. But the host has to grok your terminal type.

This is probably your problem.

Hint: in the successful case, where you telnet from the PC to the router, then from the router to the host, use the /debug option. Compare and contrast this with what you see when you connect from the PC to the router via async line, then telnet /debug to the host. You will want to focus on this bit:

[TN: Sent SB 24 0 vt100]

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.