problems with the hello to eigrp

I have problems with the hello to eigrp The reoute send all times, hellos eigrp, I try disable the hello with a access-list

access-list 171 deny udp any 224.0.0.0 0.0.0.255 access-list 171 deny ip any 224.0.0.0 0.0.0.255 access-list 171 deny udp any any eq rip access-list 171 deny udp any eq rip any access-list 171 deny eigrp any any access-list 171 permit ip any any

I apply the access-list in the interface out, but not macth the eigp and send all time the hello eigrp. I try put in passive interface for onky recive the eigrp but no send any eigrp, but a passive the interface, no recive and no send eigrp. I have rip too and the rip I passvive the interface and recive rip but the router not send rip.

Reply to
lyvicro
Loading thread data ...

I'm not sure why you care about the hello? If you don't want routes getting to the neighbor, use a distribution list and block the network advertisements that you don't want.........

Reply to
Trendkill

routing protocol traffic seems to use a "hidden" Q and be sent to the interface separately to normal traffic.

EIGRP requires that the 2 routers exchange data - and "passive" seems to mean dont send anything, so the router doesnt build the adjacency.

formatting link

RIP doesnt need 2 way communications to find a path to another router - which is one major weakness in the protocol (ie with a 1 way link you can learn routes to subnets that you cannot successfully send packets)

or if you only want some routers to form adjacencies, then use authentication - or you may be able to configure point to point logical links.

>
Reply to
stephen

If you don't want to advertise EIGRP routes but still want to receive them, you can use a feature called EIGRP stub.

Router(config-router)# eigrp stub receive-only

This will restrict the router from sharing any of its routes to other EIGRP neighbors withing the AS.

-Riotact

Reply to
Riotact

adjacency.http://sysop.com.cn/document/routing_tcp_ip_v1/ch08lev1sec3.html>

thank stephen

My problem is that in the oder side, the conexio is RDSI, I have router cisco y nortel cisco (not supoport eigrp). How is all time send hello mesages, don't finish the comunication, and the call is active every time, and the cost its high level, in the cisco I don't have problems, I put and access-list in the router, the hello packet recive, but finish the call. But in the nortel router, recive hello packet and the call don't finish Do you kown any thing for sotp the hello messages in the principal router ?

Than you.....

Reply to
lyvicro

I need send and revive router eigrp but not hello messages, is it posible?

Reply to
lyvicro

AFAIR - no - the hellos are part of the protocol used to find the neighbour router.

>
Reply to
stephen

adjacency.http://sysop.com.cn/document/routing_tcp_ip_v1/ch08lev1sec3.html> >

sounds like you have mixed cisco and nortel routers or layer 3 switches?

if so, turn off eigrp and use a protocol that all the routers support - ospf would be good.

Reply to
stephen

Hi stephen

The nortel routers only support Rip, not support ospf, before I have rip for all router, but the updates of the routers are very slowy, for thist reason I want the eigrp for the cisco routers, but for you say it's not posible, I change the routing protocol to Rip

Thank you

Reply to
lyvicro

cita -

if you must use RIP, see if you can set everything to RIP v2, and use triggered updates.

however - what you are working on seems the wrong way around.

What you are supposed to do is

- design a network,

- figure out what routing control you need,

- pick a routing protocol to meet those constraints,

- choose kit to suit

or if you have to pick kit ahead of time - choose something flexible.

you seem to have ended up with requirements you havent explained here, an unspecified set of kit and are just asking a bunch of particular questions.

now, we can maybe help with answers.

but you need to explain what you are trying to do, since just about everything is possible - but that doesnt always make the various choices a good idea since most things are tradeoffs.

Reply to
stephen

I have a central routers and many branches.

The branches routers have a conexion ADSL, with a tunnel gre, and all the routers are cisco, with this conextion I dont have problem, I use eigrp and works well, the problems is the backup of the branches, I have and another router, cisco or nortel, and the conection to the central is by RDSI with tunnel l2tp.

In the central router I have a virtual templete for the backup conexion, I need the branches send the Lan router to the central router, when the backup in on, before I use RIPin the virtual templates for cisco and the nortel, but is very slowy, and I wanted use the both eigrp for the cisco and RIP for the nortel, the problem is in the nortel don't finish the call, for the hello packet to send the central routers, there are trafic all time and don't finish the call, in the cisco, I don't have problems, I put and access-list for the traffic eigrp, send the routers to the central and when there aren't traffic in the time that I configure finish the call

I use the same virtual template for the cisco and the nortel, and its very dificult for me use two diferente virtual template, one for the cisco and other for the nortel, becase there are a lots of branches and I will need change the configuration in all branches, and support two type of configuration in the central router and in the branches

This is my problems

Thank you

Reply to
lyvicro

To disable EIGRP on a specific interface:

router eigrp xxxx passive-interface serial 2/1

where serial 2/1 is the interface you don't want EIGRP to run on.

Scott

Reply to
Thrill5

la

cita -

i would be tempted to put 2 central backup routers in place, a Nortel for all their boxes, and a cisco for the ciscos.

That way you keep eveything consistent, and the 2 virtual templates go on different boxes, so no conflict.

Finally if you add a central Nortel, then the links you are having trouble with are all 1 manufacturer - so you can ask them for help :)

Reply to
stephen

I try to put 2 virtual-templates, one for the cisco with eigrp and the other for the nortel roters with rip, it's the only solution I suppose.

Regards

Reply to
lyvicro

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.