Aironet AP1220B-E-K9

>> > Hi,

>>> > Apols for the OT, but I respect the pooled knowledge on here much more >>> > than anywhere else.... >>> > I've just been given a Cisco Aironet 1220 Wireless Access Point. >>> > Great I thought, I can use that at home as the laptop has an a/b/g >>> > wireless card fitted. >>> > Its attached like this. >>> > NTL Cable Modem is connected to Linksys BEFSR41 4-Port Router. (Set up >> to >>> > Serve DHCP) >>> > X-Box is on Port 1 - Connects fine. >>> > PC is on Port 2 - Connects fine. >>> > Cisco WAP is on Port 3 - Not Seen. >>> > I downloaded an app from Cisco for detecting the IP address from the >> WAP's >>> > MAC Address (IPSU.EXE). >>> > When I enter the (correct) MAC Address the app tells me it can't >>> > communicate with the WAP. >>> > Is there anything blatantly wrong going on here ? >>> 1) Plug the Cisco into your laptop or desktop PC direct. >>> 2) Use the CIsco app to get to the WAP. Set it for DHCP or give it >> (better >>> IMO) a static IP address on the correct range. >>> 3) Plug it back into the Linksys. All should be well >>> *Unless* it needs to be plugged into an uplink port / needs a crossover >>> cable. That would be the case if 1 and 2 work, but three still fails. >>> HTH >> Thanks Catman. >> Now you'd have thought I would have tried that first wouldn't you ..... >> [slaps forehead] >> I'll give that a go when I get home tonight. >> I noticed there is a config port that takes an RJ socket, I shouldn't >> have >> to have it plugged into that should I ? > I would doubt it. It's probably a serial type, or possibly crossed over > port. I'd stick with the 'normal' one first. > Shout if you're still having trouble tonight

Hi Catman & Statto - Thanks for your help on this one.

Got home tonight and have tried the following.

1. Plugged AP into laptop, booted, ran IPSU, entered MAC - ISPU Device does not answer.
  2. Plugged AP into PC, booted, ran IPSU, entered MAC - ISPU Device does not answer.
  3. Unplugged Power to AP, hold mode button, plug power back in - repeated 1 and 2 above - ISPU Device does not answer.
  4. Tried with crossover cable between PC/Laptop and AP - IPSU Device does not answer.

I think I may have a wan**red bit of kit - even though its brand new ?

Perhaps thats why I was given it !!

-- Cheerz - Brownz

formatting link

Reply to
Biffa Bacon
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

Try connecting to the aironet using a rs232 serial roll-over cable to the console port. Setup the ethernet interface to use fixed speed / duplex settings, configure an ip address on interface bvi1, make sure the device doesn't do MDI-X autosensing, figure out if you're using IPSU with the Ethernet MAC address, not the Wireless MAC addresses. See Cisco.com for configuration samples.

Erik

Reply to
Erik Tamminga

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.