7940/7960 setting admin vlan for non-cisco switch

Hello,

I've got a bunch of 7940 and 7960 phones running SIP software 5.3.0.

I want to use the VLAN feature of these phones that allows the phone to use a tagged vlan for it's own traffic and the default vlan for any devices connected to the second ethernet port on the phone.

I know that if you are running certain cisco switches, this vlan is automagically configured via CDP. There is a menu config to set this as well, and I have done that as follows:

-config -> unlock config

-config -> network settings

-network settings -> admin vlan id (set to 99) -> save

-config -> lock config

The phone then reconfigures itself and comes up on VLAN 99 (demonstrated by the IP it gets, as well as the "operational vlan id" menu item) and all is well.

Now if I power off the phone or reset it (*-6-config), that setting seems to stick the first time. If I reset it again, the setting is gone and the phone is back on the default vlan.

What am I doing wrong here?

I looked through the docs, and this doesn't seem to be something I can set in the tftp config (although I did try "admin_vlan_id" and "network_admin_vlan_id" - both generated parse errors). We need to have this setting stick both for our own phones and on anyone we may sell to who is also using non-cisco gear.

Any help is appreciated. For now, we are stuck at 5.3.0 as that is all our VoIP reseller will support.

Thanks,

Charles

Reply to
spork.sporkman
Loading thread data ...

Just to follow up to myself, after thinking this through, it seems like setting the VLAN by tftp config would be silly - you need to get on the VLAN before you talk to the TFTP server. Doh.

So can anyone confirm whether the phone should be holding the admin vlan id across reboots?

Reply to
spork

Another reply to myself...

Tested this on a few more phones. Here's the weird part. On all of them the setting would stick if the phone is plugged into a switch port that has no VLANs enabled (all untagged frames). If I plug the phone into a port that has the default vlan untagged and the phone vlan tagged, after two reboots or power cycles, the admin vlan setting on the phone goes away.

Anyone?

Reply to
spork

I'll close this up for the archives.

Bug in 5.3.0 not fixed until 7.1.

Reply to
spork

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.