unlock SIP 7960 phone with password set

I got two 7960 phones that are running SIP and have a password locked config, I need to unlock the phones, and reset them and make them sccp.

I tried to do the factory default sequence by power on, holding the #, then

123456789*0# but no luck, is there some other way to recover a password locked 7960 to reset and restore to sccp?
Reply to
swpa
Loading thread data ...

| I got two 7960 phones that are running SIP and have a password locked | config, I need to unlock the phones, and reset them and make them sccp. | | I tried to do the factory default sequence by power on, holding the #, then | 123456789*0# but no luck, is there some other way to recover a password | locked 7960 to reset and restore to sccp?

formatting link

Reply to
Morph

Thank you, I been through this sequence and no joy.

Still won't unlock. Tried the default cisco password also

I do the following sequence

press * 6 settings all together, then hold the #

Headseat Mute Speaker slowly and sequentially light, in which I enter

123456789*0#

Phone displays person name "Tim Weber" and ethernet disconnected. I cannot get pass this and all settings are grayed on on the menu.

At one point do you press the # and enter the 123.. sequence. No matter what variation I use it goes into the normal boot. My lights headset go green for about 30 second then the mute goes red for thirty seconds the speaker quickly flashes then the phone starts booting it's locked config.

Reset (power-cycle) your phone (you can do it by pressing " * + 6 + Settings " at the same time), and hold the pound ( # ) key. The phone's display will show you a text "Reset key sequence detected" and the Headset, Mute and Speaker leds will blink in cycle. Now just press the following keys: " 1 2 3

4 5 6 7 8 9 * 0 # ". Now the phone will ask you if you want to save your network configuration. If you have a DHCP enabled network then you can safely press the key "2 - No". And that's all. You phone will boot up with its factory defaults configuration.

Reply to
swpa

I'm guessing you tried cisco123 as the password?

Reply to
Trendkill

I have several links to reset a SIP 7960 phone back to reset, and have tried the reset sequence several times and varied the timings, but these phones will not accept the reset sequence, would something else be preventing the phones from accepting the reset sequence such as firmware?

I'm guessing you tried cisco123 as the password?

Reply to
swpa

Have you tried cisco123 as the password to unlock the config (not talking about the reset sequence)? Its the default that I know of.

Reply to
Trendkill

Yes, I tried both cisco and cisco123 from the menu and get invalid password. This is on the unlock config menu.

I have reset both SIP and SCCP phones before, I don't recall it being this sensitive to a factory reset sequence entry and timing. I followed to a T the Cisco instructions on resetting sccp and sip 7900 series phones and googled other links and get the same instructions.

The headset speaker mute lights do no do the normal flashing they intitiall all quickly flash together, then the green speaker comes on for about a long

30 seconds, then the red mute comes on for a long 30 seconds, then the yellow speaker quickly flashes and starts to boot. I never get the Keep network cfg? 1 = yes 2 = no prompt and the screen is blank while the before mentions light sequence is taking place. Again after I repower the phone either by pulling the cord or doing the * 6 setting sequence which immediately works, I hold the # key, get the three light together quickly flash then the green light come on in which at this time I am entering the 123456789*0# sequence and see the blank display.

Have you tried cisco123 as the password to unlock the config (not talking about the reset sequence)? Its the default that I know of.

Reply to
swpa

When you hold the # key, does it prompt you with: "Reset key sequence detected"? I'm doing some googling as well, this looks like a tough one.

Reply to
Trendkill

And this is the instructions you are following? You are holding the pound key down when you give the device power?

So you have a phone with a unknown password and the dhcp set to a wacky ip , the obvious thing to do is a factory reset - but the method has changed - so if you are getting nowhere with a phone try:

Hold down the # key, and plug in the power cable. When the message "Reset Key Sequence Detected" appears on the LCD, release the # key, and the three LED's (headset/mute/speaker), will start flashing.

The you need to enter the code:

123456789*0#

formatting link

Reply to
Trendkill

And any chance a key is broken or not being recognized? All the things I'm finding say the sequence is what you are doing, so I'm wondering if this is a simple problem. Are you having the issue with other 7960s, or just one?

Reply to
Trendkill

I bought two phones both with the same network settings, both do not accept the reset. I power off held down the # and the screen goes blank, light flash in a slow sequence and it goes into boot even if I never let up on the # key.

with the Cisco marquee configurng vlan requesting configuration Your current option http connection closed

if I press setting it is locked, and grayed out but able to see all IP info is statically assigned.

The Firmware Versions

Application Load ID POM3-04-4-00

Boot Load PC03A300

The ebay selling says he will take them back and refund, but he says he never run into this problem with the phones he sold in the past for both sip and skinny. I am trying some google searching as well and searching Cisco from my cco account and not turning up anything but the standard SIP 7900 phone reset sequence.

They don't look like they were asterik rejects, they have all the MGCP gateway statically assigned and a bunch of other settings set.

When you hold the # key, does it prompt you with: "Reset key sequence detected"? I'm doing some googling as well, this looks like a tough one.

Reply to
swpa

I googled and nothing, same set of reset sequences.

And this is the instructions you are following? You are holding the pound key down when you give the device power?

So you have a phone with a unknown password and the dhcp set to a wacky ip , the obvious thing to do is a factory reset - but the method has changed - so if you are getting nowhere with a phone try:

Hold down the # key, and plug in the power cable. When the message "Reset Key Sequence Detected" appears on the LCD, release the # key, and the three LED's (headset/mute/speaker), will start flashing.

The you need to enter the code:

123456789*0#

formatting link

Reply to
swpa

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.