"weird" router/switch config ?

that is what I would do - the only consideration is how the systems on the one router will talk to the systems on the other router.

Reply to
Jim Orfanakos
Loading thread data ...

Hello guys

My Motorola Surfboard gets me 2 IP's I'm trying to figure out a way to distribute these two IP's over two routers DLink DI604 lying around here Each of these routers has 1 WAN and 4 LAN ports I also have one spare 5-port switch Eminent EM1030 Moreover,

- I have the need for 12 LAN-ports in total

- I want 2 groups of PC's, each using one router as default gateway, to be able to control their WAN-acces "by router"

- I want to be able to configure the individual routers from any LAN-port (one DI604 gets IP 192.168.0.1 and the other 192.168.0.2)

- I want full LAN networking between connected pc's

I was thinking of the following setup, using one extra 8port switch DLink DES1008D :

- Connect the Motorola surfboard to the Eminent switch

- Connect WAN ports of both DI604 to the Eminent switch

- Of each DI604, connect one LAN port to the DES1008D switch This leaves me 3 free ports per DI604, and 6 free ports of de DES1008D

Or as shown by "image" ;-)

(copy and paste in notepad using fixed font)

WAN | +----+ | mot| | SB | +----+ | | +----+ +---|EM |---+ | |1030| | | +----+ | | | +-----+ wan +-----+ |DI604| |DI604| | | | | +-----+ lan +-----+ ||| | | ||| pc's +-+ +-+ pc's | | +---------+ | DES | | 1008D | +---------+ |||||| pc's

Any other suggestions ?

Thanks Peter

Reply to
peterken

Well Jim, I just created the config as I described below. All works fine. All systems are communicating to each other, presumably since they are connected to the switches (be it in the routers or in the switch itself) so there's no apparent problem this way

That is what I would do - the only consideration is how the systems on the one router will talk to the systems on the other router.

Reply to
peterken

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.