2500 telneting

Hi folks

Cisco IOS newbie here: I have a 2500 series that I currently toy with by connecting to using the console port. What I would like to do is add the router as a network appliance to my home network so that I can telnet into it. (as well as have it interface with the network to create a real world environment)

I'm a little confused about the ports on this one. I have one aux, two serial and a console. I have an RJ-45 to aux converter but my understanding is this is for dial-in access? Do you connect the serial ports to the lan (with a converter), or are they just for router to router connections?

Looking for someone to help clear this up for me. Thanks in advance!

Reply to
chusome
Loading thread data ...

You can find an AUI Port, too.

Use a Transceiver (AUI to RJ45 Converter) to connect your router to your LAN. On your router you have to configure your ethernet interface with an IP address and at least password and login method on vty.

On console try this

Router>enable Router#configure terminal Router(conf)#int ethernet 0 Router(...)#ip address www.xxx.yyy.zzz 255.255.255.0 Router(...)#no shutdown Router(...)#line vty 0 4 Router(...)#password xxxxxxxx Router(...)#login Router(...)#end Router#write

Reply to
Andre Wisniewski

sorry, i meant to say aui in the first place (not aux).

So you can use aui for broadband?. ie. its not only for dial-in?

Reply to
chusome

oh, never mind aux is for dial-in and aui is for ethernet... duh

Reply to
chusome

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.