Newbie: I bought a 2501, now what?

Hi,

I'm learning for my CCNA and thought of buying a 2501. The thing now is, to what can i connect the synschronous serial ports to? I have adsl and some ethernet switches. Is there a converter from sync serial to ethernet? And if not what now? should I just go and buy another 2501 and play with them hooked up to each other until I pass and sell - cause 2501 is obsolete with today's home internet stuff?

What other router should I have bought?

Hope someone can help

Go well! jk

Reply to
Jacques Koorts
Loading thread data ...

Not as far as I know (and I'll guess if there was it would be greater than the price of your 2501)

Yes I'll guess that would be a good suggestin. I've recently bought 2 2501 pieces on ebay for about £50 a piece. Also buy a crossover dce/dte cable about £10/12$ and your ready for it

depends on ! be aware that the 2501 aren't fully adequate for all of the lab test ( VLAN trunks, subinterfaces etc.)

Reply to
please-answer-here

Reply to
Howard Huntley

Reply to
Howard Huntley

I was just looking for a few 2500 series switch for the purpose of practicing for the CCNA test. Why use a router with token ring? Since Token Ring cards are much more expencive than ethernet.

I'm guessing you don't use the token ring ports just the serial, console and aux ports. That would save a few bucks. Many more token ring

2500's out there than ethernet.

Robert Miller

Reply to
Robert Miller
2514 is a good choice because it has two ethernet ports.

Reply to
Joe Bfstplk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.