Crossover or Straight-Thru? Please help.

You need to use a crossover cable to connect a pc to a router. (Had it right the first time around.) Your problem was more likely one of mis-configuring ip address & subnet values for this very abbreviated temporary network.

Simplest way to keep this straight is to think of all devices as belonging to one of two families:

First family is devices with multiple ethernet ports that just join together other devices at layer 2. This includes hubs & switches.

Second family is everything that might actually have something to say. This includes all computers, networked printers and other devices, and routers (which are really just special-purpose computers).

Connections between the two families always use a straight-thru cable. Connections within the same family always use a crossover cable.

Reply to
Mike Dorn
Loading thread data ...

For the purpose of installing a new IOS i connected my PC to a 2600 router thus:

Console cable between console port on the 2600 and Com 1 on my PC (no probs as you'd expect) and a CROSSOVER cable (wrongly labelled as straight-thru) between my NIC card and Ethernet 0/0.

I set up basic configuration and everything seemed fine except i couldn't ping my NIC's IP address.

I then noticed my mis-labelled cable was a CROSSOVER and swapped it for a STRAIGHT-THRU.

I re-configured the router from scratch and the line protocol is down, the link light on the ethernet int is out and my NIC is saying that there is a cable unplugged. Tried another STRAIGHT-THRU cable and still the same.

Plugging the CROSSOVER back in brings back limited functionality, link light etc! (still cant ping the NIC)

Which cable *should* i be using to connect my router to my NIC? I always assumed it was STRAIGHT-THRU?

Mikey Boy.

Reply to
tbr

Thanks for the help with my somewhat rudimentary problem. I seem to have a problem with the LAN connection itself so i'll re-install the thing. Think i better hit the books gain too!

God Bless Ya

Reply to
tbr

You might also check the condition of the cable itself that you don't have any crossed connections

Reply to
mwayper

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.