Help with my home network please

Hi all. I have searched High and low but cannot find the answer to my home network problem.

Equipment I have to hand:

2 X befw11s4 4 port wireless router 1 X Wap11 2 X broadband routers (4 port) 2 X origo routers

Equipment I want to set up: Office:

2 PCs Internet Connection

Living Room Xbox

Roaming: PSP

All I want to do is connect a wireless router to the Xbox in the living room to connect to the Office interent connection.

Also, if possible connect to the office router to go online with the PSP

what do I need to do. I've heard about bridging, but will this work for me using the linksys routers?

Many thanks for any help

craig

Reply to
craig.keightley
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

You have far too many routers and only one device capeable of acting as a client. The WAP11 can be configured as a wireless client. You can plug in either of the PC's or the Xbox into the WAP11 and use it to connect to the BEFW11s4 via wireless. Anything more than that and you'll need to buy some additional client wireless adapters.

The extra BEFW11S4, the two broadband routers, and the two origo routers are not needed. You only need *ONE* router in the system. If you want to run two routers in series for "double NAT", that can be done, but that makes things a bit messy. You could setup the 2nd BEFW11S4 as a wireless access point instead of a wireless router to extend the coverage of your network. Save that for later if one wireless router doesn't provide sufficient coverage.

Since these are all together, the two PC's can be wired directly into the router with a CAT5 cable and don't need wireless devices. The BEFW11S4 should connect to your (cable/dsl/satellite/whatever) internet connection modem. The two PC's run CAT5 to the BEFW11s4.

I assume this has to be wireless. That's where the WAP11 goes. Plug Xbox ethernet into the WAP11. You will probably need to borrow one of the PC's to configure the WAP11 as it needs to know the MAC address, SSID, and WEP key of the BEFW11S4 wireless router.

Well, you're out of wireless devices so you'll need to so some shopping for the Playstation. You cannot use the BEFW11s4 as a client adapter (sorry). I have little experience with wireless games so I can't really recommend anything specfic.

All 802.11 wireless is bridging, so that's a bit vague. There are devices called "wireless client adapters", "wireless bridges", "wireless ethernet bridge", and "wireless game adapters" which are all roughly the same. Things get complex fast with these. Most will bridge exactly one MAC address so you can plug only one game or PC into the device. Others will bridge more than one MAC address so you can plug in more than one computah. It's a bit difficult to figure out which is which as the spec sheets often don't disclose detail. If you don't mind one wireless device per game box, then almost anything will work.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

originally my setup was the following main router connected to the net : origio xbox with 2nd origo router acting as a client

i did have another xbox with the linksys router as a client (sold xbox eventually)

both xboxes are chipped and connected to the net wirelessly (sp) so that i could play online and stream audio / video from my pc

these all worked fine untill i got my psp....

the psp would not connect to the origo router. correction it would connect to the router but not to the internet. I swapped the linksys over and now i cannot get the origos to act as clients but i can connect online with the psp.

All i want to do is connect via wireless from my xbox

Very frustrated atm

Reply to
craigyk

update i purposly bought the wap 11 to act as a client for my xbox but there is no option for the firmware used

Reply to
craigyk

"craigyk" hath wroth:

I checked Google for "origio" and found little. There seems to be a DSL router called an Origio ASR-8400. If this is your Origio, we have a problem. You shouldn't use the BEFW11s4 as a router. The BEFW11s4 should be configured as an access point:

1. Disable DHCP server
  2. Set the LAN IP address to something in the range of the Origio box. If it's at 192.168.1.1, then set the BEFW11s4 for 192.168.1.2.
  3. The WAN (internet) port is not used.
  4. Run a CAT5 cable between one of the LAN ports on the Origio to one of the LAN ports on the BEFW11s4. You now have an access point instead of a wireless router.

I don't know anything about Origio routers or Playstations. It

*SHOULD* work the way you have it wired. This will need to be solved before you continue as adding wireless in between a non-working connection will only make it work.

Origio ASR-8400 forum might be able to help with configuration.

formatting link

I don't think it's possible to "swap" an ADSL modem/router (Origio) with a wireless router. You need a modem in there somewhere.

I thought the xbox was working and you were trying to connect the Playstation.

Simplify. Just the Origio in the original configuration that worked. Concentrate on why the Playstation won't work when plugged directly into the Origio whatever router.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

"craigyk" hath wroth:

The WAP11 is just a client adapter. However, it's not very automatic and needs to be manually configured. Set it up using a PC, not the xbox, and get it working. Then unplug the PC and try the Xbox.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

the origo is an 8100 (ithink) i have the manual but no mention of the model on the back of the router is the following: WLAN broadband router FCC ID : PANWL 1502

the PSP is a handheld console with built in wireless

DHCP is disabled in my current configuration

all clients are based on 192.168.1.x configuration

My current configuration is as follows and all works:

Router: Linksys connected to broadband connection

2 PCs connected to router PSP connects to Router via wireless (works ok)

PC1 192.168.1.10 PC2 192.168.1.11 PSP 192.168.1.30

XBOX previously set to 192.168.1.12 (taken upstairs and hard wired worked fine)

Router 192.168.1.254

i am stuck with the wireless side of this network.

what steps are need to configure the wap11, i have looked for firmware updates to act as a client with little luck. should the wap11 be able to scan for my router?

wep encryption is in use

Reply to
craigyk

"craigyk" hath wroth:

Configuring the WAP11 is not too easy. First, it would be nice to know the hardware version of the WAP11 and the firmware version. I won't repeat what's in the quick setup guides for the initial WAP11 setup. Go to the Linksys downloads web pile and get the latest setup software, drivers, quick install, and documentation. The default IP address for the WAP11 v2.6 is 192.168.1.251.

Eventually, you should see the following page:

formatting link
want to check the box "Access Point Client". The Remote AP MAC address is the MAC address of your wireless access point. It is often printed on the serial number tag of the wireless router and is just as often wrong. Unfortunately, the WAP11 does not have a "site survey" tool. To find the real AP MAC address, go to any wireless PC that can successfully connect to the wireless router and run: Start -> Run -> cmd arp -a This will dump the ARP table. I believe (not sure) that your wireless router is at 192.168.1.254. The MAC address that corresponds to

192.168.1.254 is the correct wireless MAC address. Do *NOT* use the MAC address from a wired connection.

You'll also need to do the wireless setup for channel number, SSID, and WEP encryption. These are also on the WAP11 setup page.

The WAP11 is only officially supported as an "Access Point Client" to another WAP11. I'm using two WAP11's in AP client mode, to connect to my BEFW11s4v4, without any problems. This is conveniently identical to your setup, so I'm sure it will work.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

at last i'm getting somewher. many thanks so far. I think my main problem was not knowing the IP of the wirelles router.

I am still a little stuck. I can see my network over the wireless connection but it won't let me connect to the internet. Any thoughts

Reply to
craigyk

UPDATE i have connected the xbox to the wap11 but it just wont conect. I have tried with a patch lead and a crossover cable but no signal is passed between the 2. I connected the xbox to the router via hard cable and the network light on the rear of the xbox lit up straight away. I am very confused now. What am I doing wrong?

Reply to
craigyk

"craigyk" hath wroth:

What does "coonnected" mean? Does it mean you plugged it in and did nothing? Did you do any configuration in the WAP11 as I previously noted? Do you have the gateway configured (I forgot to mention that)? Do you have a functional connection to the wireless router? Check the status page:

formatting link
it show that you have a connection? Do you have a valid IP address and gateway? What does it show?

The WAP11 has a light on the front panel that will light up when you have the correct polarity cable installed. Is the light on or off?

Just about everything wrong. I'm not going to be able to help you with setting up the Xbox as I know little about how it works. Did you use a PC to configure the WAP11 or are you assuming that it will just magically work when you plug it in? Also, how about disclosing the hardware version number of your WAP11. The different models are quite different in the way they're setup and configured.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

craigyk" hath wroth:

Connect ed means the network light on the rear of the xbxo does nothing. When connected to the router I get a connection. The Link light on the WAP11 does nt work either (it does when connected to the PC)

All is configured as you mentioned (as a client with the wireless MAC of the Router)

The gateway is set to 192.168.1.254 (IP of router) Do you have a functional connection to the wireless router? Check the status page:

formatting link
it show that you have a connection? Do you have a valid IP address and gateway? What does it show?

The WAP11 has a light on the front panel that will light up when you have the correct polarity cable installed. Is the light on or off?

Just about everything wrong. I'm not going to be able to help you with setting up the Xbox as I know little about how it works. Did you use a PC to configure the WAP11 or are you assuming that it will just magically work when you plug it in?

Yes and yesy :)

Also, how about disclosing the hardware version number of your WAP11. The different models are quite different in the way they're setup and configured.

Version 2.6

Reply to
craigyk

The origo router is a wireless LAN broadband router and not an adsl router

my main internet connection is broadband

I would prefer to use the 2nd Linksys router in place of the origo router, as i feel that connections drop between the xbox and the pc (tested after pinging the ip of the xbox via the pc)

Reply to
craigyk

"craigyk" hath wroth:

I think you will need an ethernet crossover cable instead of the common straight through cable. The lights MUST be on for this to work. You can make your own cable:

formatting link
just buy or make an adapter:
formatting link
formatting link

No USB. Good, that's one less headache. I think the cable is the problem. Everything else (IP, gateway, settings, etc) look correct.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

thanks i'll try with a new crossover cable and let you know

Reply to
craigyk

UPDATE: So far semi success. Current config:

Broadband Internet ===> Linksys Router(a) (192.168.1.254)

PC 1 connected to (a) (192.168.1.10) - All works Fine - can connect to all other Items and the Internet subnet mask 255.255.255.0 default gateway 192.168.1.254 dns1 - XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX provided by ISP dns2 - XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX provided by ISP

PC 2 connected to (a) (192.168.1.11) - All works fine subnaet mask 255.255.255.0 default gateway 192.168.1.11

PSP (handheld) connected wireless to (a) (192.168.1.30) - All works fine subnet mask 255.255.255.0 default gateway 192.168.1.254 dns1 - 192.168.1.254 dns2 - XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX provided by ISP

Origo Router (b) connected wireless to Linksys Router (192.168.1.251)

XBOX connected to (b) (192.168.1.16) subnet mask 255.255.255.0 default gateway 192.168.1.251

I can ping (b) from PC1 with an occasional rare timeout I can also ping the xbox from PC1 but sometimes the timeouts last longer

occasionally - sometimes i receive workgroup not found. The XBOX used to be able to connect to the internet via the connection from (b) (used for updates and synchronsation of dates, as well as many other online capabilities). Is this a set up issue for the gateways? Have I got all my settings correct?

Reply to
craigyk

"craigyk" hath wroth:

Wrong. The default gateway should always be the router. Change to

Yes. You have the wrong gateway.

Other than the gateway on the Xbox, it looks ok.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

SUCCESS!! Thanks for all your advice and patience. As soon as i changed the gateway on the XBOX the interent connection restored (the clock on the xbox dashboard upates via the net and set to the correct time)

The SAMBA share to the network PC upstairs appears at a first glance to be more stable. WIll investigate

Many Thanks again

Craig

Reply to
craigyk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.