Help with cheapie cable tester, please?

I recently purchased a cheapie "enhanced" cable tester. The instructions that came with it are incomprehensible.

I made up some straight thru 8 pin cat 5e Ethernet cables. I tested the cables with a continuity meter and there is continuity from one end of the rj45 to the other at each pin. Also, the cables work fine in a live network.

Whenever I plug the cable in to this tester, I can only get the 3&6 leds to light green, the others don't light up at all. I have taken commercially made cables and they read the same on this tester - so I don't think it's my cable. I am wiring the cable as a T-568A to T-568A.

Anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong or give me some simple instructions as to how to test a straight thru 8 pin RJ45 cat 5 Ethernet cable for continuity with this tester? I'm not looking for anything exotic, just continuity.

Here are some links about the specific tester:

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
Thank you in advance for any advice/help!

Reply to
Jim
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.