CCNA-VLSM question_______plz help

Hi,

I have some confusion about following question found at

sem3_chap1_quiz(10 no)

Q. which of the VLSM subnets of the 172.16.0.0 network will most efficiently provide the number for two hosts?

1) 172.16.96.64 /30 2) 172.16.161.128 /30

Answer is 172.16.161.128/30 accourding to ccna3 academy v.3 chapter 1 . I think both are ok .Please help.

Thank You

Reply to
why
Loading thread data ...

Both look ok to me too mate :-) But i did the CCNA netacademy too last year, and it's full with such stupid errors. They are realy fustrating. The stupid remarks they make (some going even personaly to a group) are completely misplaced! The same hold's for there books too, they are realy bad, don't count on them to much. In my personal oppinion Cisco could better redesign their CCNA netacademy completely from the ground up. It's the worst i've ever seen in technologybooks

(will i get banned again on this list for my honest opinion?)

Reply to
polleke

1, You are NOT wasting any hosts and or subnets. If your thinking your loosing 0-60 subnets, by using the .64 your not. They would be used on other WAN links. 2, Along your line of thinking would you not be wasting 132-160 subnets? If you think your loosing them on the lower subnets why not the upper subnets? You wouldn't be, plain and simple, again they would be for other WAN links.

To the OP. The question SUCKS! Typical BS.

Now had I had this question in a real test I would have simply ruled out the obvious bad answers, probably something really stupid like being an odd network, and guessed between the 2 decent ones.

This is the type question that they want you to burn up too much time on. If there isn't a clear answer, and both remianing choices are correct, guess and move on.

-Brian

Reply to
Brian V
172.16.161.128 /30 is the most efficient due to the fact that if you were implement the addressing from .64 you would waste an additional 64 host addresses.
Reply to
lyndsay HOLLERAN

The CCNA 3 curriculum is now v3.1.1 and no longer contains that question (for obvious reasons) in either the chapter 1 quiz or exam - I advise that you respectively suggest to your networking academy instructor that they update their course offerings.

Assuming, of course, that you accessing this curriculum as a legitiamte student; if you are not then you are getting what you paid for :-)

Aubrey

Reply to
Aubrey Adams

ROFL, i did the course on legitimate base, and it contained TENS!! of such stupid errors can i receive my money back now for each error there is in the cisco course?

Reply to
polleke

If you only use 2 hosts with the .64 subnet everything from .67-.254 will be wasted. If you are only using 2. This is because when using vlsm you cant go from a 172.16.0.64/30 subnet to a 172.16.0.67/29 or to a 172.16.0.128/28 or /27 subnet.

So if you use the .128 network with a /30 you will only be wasting .131-.254 instead of wasting .67-.254

Hope that helped Sean

Reply to
sean courtney

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.