Straight-thru or crossover?

It's the day after the Day of the Turkeys and the phone won't stop ringing. It seems all the kids have decided to "help" the parents with their computahs. Why me?

What you wanna do is convert one of the BEFW11S4 boxes from a router to an access point. You say you've already done this so I won't go into the steps. The cable goes between one of the LAN ports on one BEFW11S4 to one of the LAN ports on the other BEFW11S4. The one that's playing access point should NOT have anything shoved into the WAN port.

I wasn't sure if my BEFW11S4v4 has auto polarity (or whatever it's called) on the LAN ports. So, I tried it and it doesn't. Nor is there an MDI/MDI-X switch or extra connector. Therefore, you will need to use a cross over ethernet cable. I suggest you NOT purchase a cross over cable. Use an ordinary ethernet cable and build (or buy) an adapter. The easiest way is to buy an ethernet jack "extension". That's a female to female RJ45 connector wired 1:1 on the pins. Then, build yourself a short ethernet cable wired normally on one end, and cross-over on the other end. Instant adapter.

Of course, you just buy one or more of these:

formatting link
one on your keychain and look like a cool geek.

It doesn't matter if you chose EIA-568A or 568B. It's strictly a color coding standard. To a continuity tester, they're identical. However, you should be absolutly shure that both ends of a cable are wired to the same color coding standard. You can also mix 568A and

568B in a system with no difficulty.

Drivel: I once did a wiring job in a medical office building. I worked in the wiring closet, while my accomplis worked at the various wall jacks. I wired 568B while he wired 568A. Nothing worked until we tossed a coin and agreed upon a common wiring standard for both ends of the cable.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

I have 2 Linksys BEFW11S4 WAP routers. One is v3, the other v4. V3 is the main, v4 is in the garage. I would like to connect them together so I can roam from the house to the yard to the garage. Do I use straight-thru or crossover cable? T-568A connectors or T-568B? Do I use #4 port (1-3 are being used) on the v3 to the #1 port on the v4? I've already set the v4 to a different IP and DHCP is disabled. Am I missing anything?

Hope everyone's Turkey Day was great.

-- Louie Gainesville, FL (eat the flies to email)

"Be seeing you." Number Six, The Prisoner

Reply to
Louie

Done & done. Thanks, Jeff! Went with the A config and everything's working great.

-- Louie Gainesville, FL (eat the flies to email)

"Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Reply to
Louie

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.