"Network Cable Unplugged" error (FR114P)

Probably a speed/mdx sensing problem on your 8100's NIC. Update it's driver and try again, also try a different straight cable and a crossover cable.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.
Loading thread data ...

Then, power down the cable modem, router, and pc. Wait 15 seconds by your watch. Some indicate that the ethermet cables should be unplugged also. power up the cable modem wait for leds to settle. plug in cable ethernet cable to router Power up the router. plug in laptop ethernet cable to router Now power up the laptop.

Reply to
Bit Twister

Hello,

I have a NetGear FR114P router, which works well with my two desktop PC and a printer. However, when I connect my Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop to it, the connection is not successful. The W2K simply displays the status "Local Area Connection Network cable unplugged" on the bottom-right system tray. For test purpose, I have directly connectted the laptop to the broadband modem, and there is no problem. This means the OS on the laptop and the cable connecting to the router works well. Also, I have upgrade the firmware for FR114P, and this is not helpful. Has anyone got any idea about this strange behaviour of FR114P?

regards, George

Reply to
George

As I said, there is no problem if I directly connect to thebroadband modem. Also, FYI, the laptop works well within my company's intranet. So, I can't see anything wrong with the NIC or OS or cable. Any other idea?

George

Reply to
George

Laptop to other network - works good. Netgear to other devices - works good. Laptop to netgear - bad.

Sounds like a cable issue or the port you are using is bad or the port is one of those PORT 1 and XOVER connected to port 1 type things (where two ports are the same electrical connection, just pinned as normal and the other as XOver).

Reply to
Leythos

Sorry, I may not fully understand what you mean. But, the cable I used is definitely a working one because if I use it dirrectly connect to the modem, it works. It is definely not a cross over cable. I can't see the reason to use XOver cable. Am I right? As to the port, I have tried on any of the four ports of the FR114P router. No difference.

Reply to
George

How about trying a different cable and see if it works - I know that you've used that cable to connect directly to the cable modem, but cable modems are 10base in most cases. A bad cable can still work at 10mbs if it's short enough.

A 100mbs connection needs a good cable.

You didn't make these cables yourself did you?

Again, please use a different cable and let us know if that works.

Here is a summary of what we know based on your feedback:

Laptop to company network - works good. Netgear to other devices - works good. Laptop to netgear - bad. Laptop to cable modem - good.

So, since your NIC can auto-sense speed based on the above, since the only thing left is the cable, please try another cable.

Also, reboot your laptop when you change the cable and let us know if it still shows disconnected.

Reply to
Leythos

Your are right. I couldn't make the cables by myself. I have tried several cables. all of them are short that 3m, and none of them works.

It is interesting to observe following behaviour: My NIC is Actiontec 82559 based Mini PCI Ethernet Adapter (10/100). If I change its "Link Speed & Duplex" to "100Mbps/Half Duplex", I find there is a response for the connection. However, the connection is very unstable, it keep changing between "connected" and "unplugged" states every few seconds. I don't understand how this setting works.

Reply to
George

The modem connection is probably 10Mbps, the router is 100Mbps. The tolerances are *far* different. Also, the MDX of the modem may be opposite.

Why don't you just stop arguing with us and try it? Go grab/buy/beg/borrow/steal a good quality pre-made CAT5e or CAT6 straight through cable of at least 6 feet in length, and a similar crossover cable, and try them both.

Did you update the NIC driver on your laptop like I suggested before? Or are you going to tell me it connects to something else, therefore it can't be at fault? (wonderful logic by which you can absolve everything in your setup, hence never solve the problem)

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.

Reply to
George

Hello, Russ,

I highly appreciate all your help/suggestion and have not at all any intention to argue with anyone. I have tried both straight through cables and cross over cables, which I believe of good quality, as I read as "Enhanced CAT .5 UTP 350MHz.". The only thing I haven't done is updating the driver of the NIC because the OS reports that the driver works properly. I don't understand the point to updating the driver when the connection has not yet established (none of the green or orange light is on of the RJ45). Hopefully, my reply will not be interpreted as a offensive "argue" and I do realize the issue is not a simple/easy one. If you have any further advice, you are more than welcome. Thanks in anticipation.

George

Reply to
George

No light on EITHER end of the connection? If the cable's good, then it sounds like a physical problem with a port. I think you said the PC can make a connection at another location, so try a different port on the router.

John Jones, Detroit

Reply to
John Jones

Ok, so if you set the Link Speed to a fixed value it sort-of works. That indicates one of two things:

1) The NIC and Router do not properly auto-negotiate. 2) The cable is not properly made or is bad.

Both the above can seem like th same problem.

Set the NIC to 10mbps/hdx and see if it stays connected. If it does, then you still have bad cable or a bad NIC.

At the router, swap cables with another computer - meaning unplug the cable from the computer and connect that end to your laptop (in auto for speed) and see if it's exactly the same problem - if not, then you have a bad cable OR a bad port on the router.

Reply to
Leythos

Logically, I fully agree to your analysis. however, the reality is quite different.

I have tried following: . Connect my Desktop PC using the same cable to any of the 4 ports, and all of them works well. . connect my Laptop using the same cable to any of the 4 ports, and none of them works. in all test, no light on either end of the connect. . connect my laptop directly to the modem using the same cable, and it works well. . connect my laptop using the same cable to the router and if I change the NIC's setting "Link Speed & Duplex" to "100Mbps/Half Duplex", I find there is a response for the connection. However, the connection is very unstable, it keep changing between "connected" and "unplugged" states every few seconds.

It seems somehow the laptop's NIC and the router does not match each other technically. For your information, the NIC on the laptop is "Actiontec 82559 based Mini PCI Ethernet Adapter (10/100)" with driver from Intel (version 4.3.25.0), and the router is FR114P with latest firmware.

If anyone knows how to test the compatibility between the two and how to check the NIC settings, that would be great. By the way, does the NIC have any "permanent memoery", which could not be re-set even by power-off?

Reply to
George

I agree to your analysis that "The NIC and Router do not properly auto-negotiate". As to the cable, I have done a set of test (see my reply to John Jones) and can't see a problem unless the laptop'sNIC and the Router need a very special one. The only setting of "Link Speed & Duplex" that make the green lights flash at both ends is "100Mbps/Half Duplex" or "100Mbps/Full Duplex", which indicates a very unstable connection. Any idea on how to make the two compatible/auto-negotiate?

Reply to
George

When are you going to take the cable using in #1 above and connect it to the laptop?

I've asked that you take a cable that is in use by a desktop, remove it from the desktop and connect it to the laptop (without changing the Router side) and let us know if it work.

Do the above with NIC on the laptop set to AUTO sense speed.

If the computer connection was showing 100mbps/fdx and you connect it to the laptop and it fails, then it's time to replace the NIC or the router.

I've seen this same thing with 3COM commercial switches and CISCO 2900 series switches, if it fails when setting the speed manually you just have to resign yourself that it's not going to work.

Reply to
Leythos

Nope, flashing lights are normal. Indicate traffic through the ports.

John Jones, Detroit

Reply to
John Jones

My experience with PCI NIC's is that the settings are retained, even if the PC is powered off. Assuming the laptop has USB ports, you might want to try a USB network adapter at this point (same brand as the router would be safest). Or even a PC Card adapter, although I think they're more expensive (and a USB one could be used on a desktop PC). When I was setting up a Netgear Wireless Media Player and couldn't get it to talk to the Netgear Access Point, I bought a Netgear wireless USB adapter at either CompUSA or Best Buy for $30 (after rebates). Plugging it into a PC and seeing it hook up immediately with the access point proved to me that the access point was working OK. Then I could keep plugging away at the media player until I could get IT to talk to the access point.

John Jones, Detroit

Reply to
John Jones

Your NIC is *not* working correctly, for one connection at least. I've seen drivers fix such thing. Specifically, if there is a bug in the driver for one particular flavor of auto-sense -- sometimes even tied to what chipset is used in the remote ethernet card. I've seen it happen. Ask yourself why they release new drivers -- to fix bugs. Perhaps yours has a bug. Perhaps not. Might it be possible that one of the bugs that was fixed with an updated driver, is the one that is effecting you?

BTW, when the OS reports the driver is working correctly, that means little to nothing. Only that it's properly installed and is functional. It could be riddled with bugs or not even be capable of controlling the hardware it's connected to in some cases, but still report as fine to the OS.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.

I unplugged the cable from my Desktop and plug it into the laptop. I didn't tounch the router end at all. The NIC on the laptop was set to AUTO sense speed. This is the test I did,and it doesn't make things better. Do you think my NIC's auto sense function was broken? If so, is it possible to explain why the NIC works with the modem?

Reply to
George

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.