Path to getting an electrician's license in NJ

Someone related to me mentioned that I should research the path to master electrician's license, instead of the RCDD.I have done a little research and it seems that my EE degree will take care of 3 years of the 5 years of experience that is required for the master electrician's license in NJ. How do I (at 46 years old) go about getting the additional two years of experience? Is there some training that will cause a master electrician to hire me so I can get some experience? How about getting the BICSI Commercial Installer's cert? Will that get me a job doing the proper work for the proper employer? How can I go about getting this work in NJ?

-------------------------------------

##-----------------------------------------------##

Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archive

formatting link
no-spam read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup -

comp.dcom.cabling - 4760 messages and counting!

Reply to
wooliewillie
Loading thread data ...

Are you trying to get hired or open your own business? This would greatly affect your choice. As for the training, you may want to find your local IBEW Union and ask them about some training programs they might have. You'd have to get your Union card etc, but if that's what you want to do, then it's up to you. Note that if you become a Union guy, you will cost your potential employer great deal more money and headaches, so you thus effectively limit your potential employers to Union companies only.

This seems like rather strange way of getting into cabling and networking design/consulting business. Whoever suggested you get master electrician designation, did they know all the details of your future plans? You are not going to go through that great deal of trouble to become just another electrician, are you?

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

Well, I think his point was that there is alot more work for licensed independant electricans than there are for network cable pullers/network designers. I think that I mentioned this, but I want to to work independantly for small to mid size co's who want to modify their networks, both geographically and logically. Bottom line though, is I want to make enough money to be able to pay the mortgage.

------------------------------------- Dmitri(Cabl> wooliewillie wrote:

formatting link

comp.dcom.cabling - 4762 messages and counting!

Reply to
wooliewillie

The question of how much work there is out there for any particular trade cannot be answered outside the context of the actual economic situation as well as the direction the economics is heading. When money is tight, people spend them on bare necessities, and electricity is one of them. Internet access as well as other networks would obviously be secondary. But if the economy is going to do any better any time soon, people will surely increase spending money on networks.

One other thing you may want to consider is that competition among electrician is even more fierce, simply because there is more of them out there.

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

But from what I am understanding, any of them (the high voltage types) can do either, low or high voltage wiring, while only they can do power.

------------------------------------- Dmitri(Cabl> wooliewillie wrote:

formatting link

comp.dcom.cabling - 4764 messages and counting!

Reply to
wooliewillie

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.