Newbie question about punchdown blocks

Your basic 66-block works, essentially, by insulation displacement. When the wire is forced into the clip with the punch tool, the edges of the clip bite through the insulation and grab on to the wire. 110-series blocks do exactly the same thing, though their clips are designed a little differently.

FWIW: Punch blocks don't work well with fine-gauge (24 or higher) stranded wire. The stranded stuff doesn't offer as much physical resistance to the pressure of the clip, so it ends up compressing such wire more than biting through its insulation. This leads to intermittents or opens.

Punch blocks work best with solid wire. Always have, always will.

As to your second question, yes: The clips are parallel across rows in different patterns. The larger 66B4-25 blocks have six clips per row, all connected in parallel across said rows, and can handle 25 pairs (50 wires) each.

The 66M1-50's, aka 'split blocks,' have four clips per row. The first clip on the left is in parallel across the row with its immediate neighbor to the right, followed by an open split down the middle of the block, and then the far-right clip is in parallel with its immediate neighbor to the left.

This split configuration allows such a block to accomodate up to

50 pairs (100 wires).

There are other configurations of 66-blocks, most often found in older 1A2 key telephone equipment, but the two I've mentioned are the most common. If you're uncertain about what you're looking at, check the part number of the block itself. It should be stamped into the side, or perhaps on the front between the screw holes.

You're correct in your observation. Punching more than one wire into any clip is a recipe for certain disaster.

The way what you describe works is that each jack is, typically, home-run to its own set of clips on a given block. You then have (on a split block) one remaining set of clips to attach the line to. You would simply loop the incoming pair in and out of the block, hitting all the jack pairs you need to and leaving slack to manipulate the loops later on.

If you have to have more than one set of wires in a given clip, you can get stack-ons that provide additional clips.

It is best to install your own stuff. That way, whoever your phone people are don't have to second-guess any modifications done to their work.

Are you also aware that there is a standardized color code for telephone and telecomm wiring? You'd be surprised how many people don't know that.

Happy tweaking.

Reply to
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee
Loading thread data ...

Hi all,

I am a newbie to the world of installation, and I really want to get a good grasp on punchdown blocks. Is there a simple website or reference that someone can point me to. After much googling I have come up empty,

If not, I have some basic questions that hopefully someone can answer:

How do punchdown blocks work? To clarify, are certain posts wired to other posts?

And, if you were wiring phones, how would you get one line to multiple jacks? It seems that you might have to put the incoming line to one pair of posts, then link them somehow to other posts and then connect a pair of wires to those posts to run them to a jack.However, in observation, I don't think that I have ever seen multiple wires connected to one post. What am I missing?

Also, if I there is a large block in my office building, some of it in use, some not, can I use some posts for my office, or do I have to get another block specifically for my own use? If I can use it, how do I determine what posts are "safe" to use?

Anyway, that's the start of my questions. I just want to get a basic understanding of how these things work.

Thank you SO much!

Ryan

Reply to
The Chairman

Most blocks use an insulation displacement type pin for termination of the conductors. Depending on the block style, some pins may be conductively the same. The more common blocks used today are 66 sytle; 110 style, BIX style and Krone style. Each have a unique punch down tool for terminating conductors.

You are right, most block pins are designed to have only a single termination. One way to get a sigle line to multiple jacks is to use a daisy chain connection where the conductor is not cut off at the pin but extends to the next jack, etc., being cutoff at the last termination.

This depends on how owns the block. If is owned by the service provider then no.

Here is a link on 66 Blocks

formatting link
and one on 110 blocks
formatting link
Ryan

##-----------------------------------------------##

Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archive

formatting link
no-spam read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup -

comp.dcom.cabling - 2024 messages and counting!

Reply to
Jgolan

Dr. Anton T. Squeegee wrote in news:MPG.1d021dbe9e7e608198974b@localhost:

Thank you both for your replies. Now, let me see if I have this straight:

Let's say that I want to wire 4 phone jacks to one phone line. I have the 66 style block. I'm going to call the columns of clips, from left to right, 1...2...3...4. I'll call the rows, from top down, A...B...C...D

Tell me if this is right: I would take the incoming TelCo phone line, run it to these clips:

A1 A3 B1 B3 C1 C3 D1 D3

using a single wire. I would accomplish this by using the side of the punch down tool that doesn't cut, and wind the wire around the "fanning clips", in and out of the block.

Then, I would punch down the wires to the individual jacks to:

A2 A4 B2 B4 C2 C4 D2 D4

This would take up all of the top 4 rows of clips total. Is this correct? Or, would it be phone line to A1 B1 corresponds to jack in A2 B2, etc? OR, does A1 B1 correspond to A4 B4?

Now, what if I wanted to add a new home run jack to a line that has already been cut and punched-down to the block, and therefore is only accessible on one row of clips?

Thanks!

Ryan

Reply to
The Chairman

WHICH 66-style block? The patterns on the 66B4-25 and 66M1-50 are different.

Based on your stated pattern, and a description of what you're trying to do, you can use either block. For a 66B4-25, you can run the incoming line pair as follows.

TIP side to: A1, C1, E1, G1. RING side to: B1, D1, F1, H1.

You could then place the pairs from the jacks as follows:

TIP side (from each jack): A2, C2, E2, G2. RING side (from each jack): B2, D2, F2, H2.

You could actually use this same pattern on the left split side of a 66M1-50 as well, but reversed for the same of neatness. By 'reversed,' I mean punch down the home-run cables from each jack first, THEN run in your looped feed from the telco side.

If that jack is not currently used, it should have one clip per terminal (tip and ring) that is unused. You should not have any problems making it live.

This is, unfortunately, one of the hardest things to demonstrate to someone over the 'net. Tell you what, though... If you want, I can take some photos of my key system installation (it uses both types of blocks) and E-mail them to you. That way, you'd at least see how the wiring's done.

Let me know.

Happy punching.

Reply to
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee

If you do as has already been done, like 'monkey see, monkey do' then you will learn the how and why of the system.

You're missing out on the other end of the punchdown tool blade, the one that has no cutter. This allows you to punch down the wires and loop them to the next pair of contacts down. Called daisychaining.

For a newbie, I would suggest you keep your mess to yourself and start your experimenting on another block just for your own use. If a telco tech saw your mess on their blocks, they might just take offense and remove it. :-P

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

Well, not really....using your legend

1st all your station cable pairs should be terminated, assuming you are using 4-pair cable follow this pattern

wh/bl - A4 Bl/Wh - B4 Wh/Or - C4 Or/Wh - D4 Wh/Gn - E4 Gn/Wh - F4 Wh/Bn - G4 Bn/Wh - H4

2nd cable starts on I4 etc.

Bring in your telco line into pins A1 & B1 and loop them (daisy chain) to C1 & D1, then E1 & F1, etc for about 10 appearences (this will give your 6 spares for future adds)

Last, take 1 pair (scrap) from A2 & B2 to A3 & B3, this assumes that the Bl/Wh pair of your station cable is cut down on the jack as pair 1. For the second station, take 1 pair from C2 & D2 to I3 & J3. Continue this pattern for all your stations.

By do> Dr. Anton T. Squeegee wrote in

Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archive

formatting link
no-spam read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup -

comp.dcom.cabling - 2028 messages and counting!

Reply to
Jgolan

Dr. Anton T. Squeegee wrote in news:MPG.1d03880862825a2598974e@localhost:

That would be fantastic! My e-mail is snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net. Thanks!

Reply to
The Chairman

"Watson A.Name - \\"Watt Sun, the Dark Remover\\"" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Yeah, I tried my best to figure it from looking, but the wires were too hard to follow, looping in and out, going behind, etc.

Reply to
The Chairman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.