what are the extra cable wires for

The cable guy came today to set up my cable and internet in my new apartment. There are 2 cable jacks in my bedroom and 1 in the living room. A previous resident must have done some rewiring as one of the cable jacks in the bedroom only led through the wall and out into the living room (not connected to any cable signal). The wire where the cable signal originates for my apartment is in my closet. It has one wire coming in to a three way splitter. Then there are 5 different wires originating in the box and leading out of it. Two of these are hooked up to the splitter, and so must lead to the one good cable jack in my bedroom, and the other to the living room. My question is, what do the other wires lead to if there are only 2 working jacks (3 jacks total) in my apartment?

Reply to
kelgalla
Loading thread data ...

Ok, thanks, I wasn't sure if the extra wires were part of the original setup or due to the previous tenant. I thought maybe there was a purpose (common to all setups) for those wires that I was not aware of.

Reply to
kelgalla

You'll have to ask the previous tennant, or trace them out yourself. There's no way we can guess what they're for.

Reply to
James Knott

Probably because the cableTV installers I've seen never bother to trace out old cables and just run new every time. My brother owned a rental property for a few years, every time a new tenant moved in, the cable company would send out an installer who ran brand new cable to the mostly the same places. The basement where the cable TV entered had a dozen or so old coax cables hanging down from the ceiling. Every time I was over there ( usually helping clean out the junk left by a departing tenant), I had to resist the urge to go over and fix their incredibly sloppy looking installations.

--Dale

Reply to
Dale Farmer

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.