Newbie Question

Hi -- Sorry if this question isn't as advanced as the rest of the questions, but I don't see anything about posting guidelines in your faq (which I also don't see).

In general, I am looking for some info about SIP / VOIP 'free calls.'

In specific, I'm looking at IdeaSIP 'free' telephone calls from pc to pc. They seem less hype-ey than the other services and say that they are ad free, spam free, etc.

My question to you is, how can they offer 'free' pc to pc phone calls? Is it really ok to use these services? How do you find a reliable one?

THANKS for any info,

BK, voip-curious.

Reply to
Britknee
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

If all you want to do is pc to pc calls, then i think you can just use yahoo's voip feature. it is completely free and works fine for those i know who have used it. if you want to start calling "normal" phones from your pc, then it starts to cost money, so it depends on what you want to do.

• We buy and sell new/used networking equipment. Please contact me if you have any offers or are interested in buying *

** GUARANTEED REAL CISCO, in stock! ALL prices in USD **

50 x CP-7940G= NEW IN BOX @ $260/each

50 x CP-7960G= NEW IN BOX @ $320/each

2 x CISCO1760 (64D/32F) USED @ $500.00

1 x CISCO1760-VPN/K9 (96D/32F) USED @ $650.00

1 x CISCO3640 (64D/32F) USED @ $375.00

5 x CISCO7206VXR= [chassis with single AC power ONLY] NEW IN BOX @ $3800/each

20 x NM-2FE2W USED @ $550/each

2 x NPE-G1= NEW IN BOX @ $9000/each

10 x PVDM-12 USED @ $120/each

6 x PVDM2-8 USED @ $240/each

20 x PVDM2-16 USED @ $300/each

20 x PVDM2-32 USED @ $850/each

10 x PVDM2-48 USED @ $1000/each

1 x VG224 NEW IN BOX $3600

2 x VG248 NEW IN BOX $5000/each

Rick Truong TruTech Systems AIM: ricktrutek E-Mail: rick at trutechsystems dot net

Reply to
rick

The same way 'they' offer free IP data transfer when you browse the WWWeb, you've paid your ISP for internet connectivity, and they (pretty much) don't care what you do with the bits.

Skype is a pretty good example, Skype->Skype calls are free (though if you want to buy a headset or phone or mousepad from them they won't complain), and they are really hoping to show you to the value of SkypeOut (so you can call POTS phones, which is free thru the end of the year), SkypeIn (so you can have a POTS phone number), and their voicemail and other services.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

The two other responses gave great info. I also wanted to point out that you may not need a service at all. Depending on your requirements, you might be able to dial from SIP softphone to SIP softphone or you can do the same thing using 'hard' phones.

Reply to
Jonathan Roberts

Hi,

I have tried Free World Dialup (FWD) , they are good and they have large community.

Check this site for more info:

formatting link
Good luck!

Britknee wrote:

Reply to
Panda

To all who responded:

THANK you very much for the info!

BK

Reply to
Britknee

Hey y'all were so helpful, I'd just like to ask you one more question:

I know you said Yahoo is good for PC to PC calls, but why I'm really interested in IdeaSIP is because they allow you to buy a number in another country and receive calls to that number.

The way I understand it is: you buy a French (or whatever country) hard number, and people from france can call you on it (using their traditional telephone lines, paying local rates), but you receive it in the USA on your pc. Now THAT would be awesome, but my 'there is no free lunch' mentality is making it hard for me to make the plunge.

There is so much info out there to sift thru, and I'd really appreciate you pros experience: ever use this service with IdeaSIP or any other provider? Is it dependable? How's the quality? Is there an annoying delay that would make it hard to do sales or customer service this way?

THANKS again VOIPmasters,

BK

Reply to
Ambrette
[snip]

If you want a genuinely free UK phone number, try

formatting link
- no monthly charges, no setup fees. Note that you have to sign up using a UK-based IP address if you want a geographic number, but there are plenty of proxy servers around that will get you round that one.

You can receive calls and make calls to other Sipgate customers and 0800 (free) numbers with no credit, but if you want to make outgoing calls to the PSTN you will need to add credit rather like you would with a pre-pay mobile phone, but the credit never expires unlike some providers.

One tip - get an ATA (analogue telephone adaptor) and plug an ordinary phone into it rather than using a PC. It's so much more convenient and doesn't require your computer to be on in order to receive or make a call.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

Reply to
Rochana N

Righteous. Thanks again for taking the time to share your wisdom w/me.

BK

Reply to
Britknee

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.