compression or crimp

Those of you who have had 'hands on' - which do you think is best for terminating F, RCA, and BNC fittings? Pros and cons? Thanks

Reply to
Bob Dozier
Loading thread data ...

Compression, without a question.

Hex-crimp creates 6 points of impedance mismatch, which is a source of reflections. Reflections, of course, can cause standing wave (analog) and/or packet collision (digital). I once went on a service call where a few of their DirecTV channels were missing. Not a few transponders, but a few channels. Replaced the hex-crimp fittings at the LNB, and back they came.

Compression fittings also have a much higher return loss (>30dB) than hex-crimp (~18dB).

I once saw a copy of a sweep trace of a high rise building in which hex-crimp fittings were used. You could see every floor on the trace.

Compression fittings have a better pullout strength than hex-crimp.

Most of them also have internal O-rings, which makes them more moisture resistant.

They may be a little more expensive (not that much, though), but the time saved in both the initial installation and subsequent service calls (there won't be any with compression fittings done right) makes them well worth the extra few cents.

You can read a little more about some compression fittings here

formatting link

Reply to
Ed Nielsen

formatting link
for tools (The CPLCCT-LM will do all 3 connectors of the Digicon (F-Conn) brand), and
formatting link
for the connectors.

CIAO!

Ed N.

Bob Dozier wrote:

Reply to
Ed Nielsen

Thanks for your post. Can anyone recommend a compression tool? Some RJ45 tools are no good all. Any recommendation of a source of compression tools and connectors for F, RCA, and BNC fittings?

Thanks!

....Bob

Reply to
Bob Dozier

Again, thanks for your post. Yet another question from this newbie...

It seems that there are different connectors for braided cable and quad-shield?

- S-Series BNC Connectors for RG 59

- S-Series BNC Connector for RG 59 Quad-Shield Cable

Since I have not purchased the Siamese RG-59 cable yet (this is for CCTV cameras), which is considered the best way to go 95% copper braid or quad-shield? There is much info available when I google - just wanted some suggestions from those with experience with it. Thanks!

....Bob

Reply to
Bob Dozier

Copper-braid cable is best for CCTV. NEVER to be used for CATV, though.

Just the connectors for standard RG 59, not quad.

CIAO!

Ed N.

Bob Dozier wrote:

Reply to
Ed Nielsen

Many thanks!

....Bob

Reply to
Bob Dozier

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.