TACACS or RADIUS-Help Please

Can someone tell me the pros and cons of both and which one they would recommend an the reason.

Thanks,

Reply to
Trouble
Loading thread data ...

You may wish to investigate -

An Analysis of the TACACS+ Protocol and its Implementations:

formatting link
as well as

An Analysis of the RADIUS Authentication Protocol:

formatting link
Hope this helps.

Brad Reese BradReese.Com - Cisco CraigsList Job Openings

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 AIM: R2MGrant BradReese.Com - Cisco Asset Recovery Directory
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

RADIUS uses UDP. RADIUS encrypts only the password in the access-request packet; less secure. RADIUS combines authentication and authorization. RADIUS does not support ARA access, Net BIOS Frame Protocol Control protocol, NASI, and X.25 PAD connections. RADIUS does not allow users to control which commands can be executed on a router.

TACACS+ offers multiprotocol support. TACACS+ provides two ways to control the authorization of router commands: on a per-user or per-group basis. TACACS+ uses the AAA architecture, which separates authentication, authorization, and accounting. TACACS+ encrypts the entire body of the packet; more secure. TACACS+ uses TCP.

Reply to
christian koch

btw, IMO tacacs is a much wiser and securer implementation to use

Reply to
christian koch

Are you a Cisco only shop and will be that way forever? Are you only authenticating Cisco - no other things like other vendor firewalls? Then a Cisco proprietary protocol like TACACS may be for you. I tend to think of authentication for all equipment so I'm standards oriented (RADIUS).

alan

Reply to
Alan Strassberg

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.