Cat 5 for phone and ethernet?

I moved into a small apartment with Cat 5 run throughout and want to run phone and ethernet over these lines. I have spent some time trying to get this to work but haven't had much luck. Wondering if anyone has any advice?

The set up is:

I have two phone lines; one for upstairs and one for my office in the garage. The garage line carries the DSL service.

From the MPO I have two wires that go into a small phone jack. I have attached my DSL splitter to this jack. DSL splitter has phone out and DSL out. DSL out runs to a 4 outlet router. Phone runs to a 3-way splitter (I may run this to a punch down block....)

Using the Cat5, I have pulled the blue and white wires away from the rest allowing about 6 inches of wire and put an RJ11 jack onto it. I plug this into the splitter. The other end is already connected to the phone jack and works great.

I have then pulled the Orange and Green pair (still twisted) and cut them about 1 inch from the jacket. I then put them into an RJ45 jack into

1,2,3 and 6. (OW/O/GW/G) This I plugged into the router and the other end into my computer. This DID NOT WORK.

Help??

Thanks!!!

-------------------------------------

##-----------------------------------------------##

Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archive

formatting link
no-spam read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup -

comp.dcom.cabling - 938 messages and counting!

Reply to
troydavidsmith
Loading thread data ...

I moved into a small apartment with Cat 5 run throughout and want to run phone and ethernet over these lines. I have spent some time trying to get this to work but haven't had much luck. Wondering if anyone has any advice?

The set up is:

I have two phone lines; one for upstairs and one for my office in the garage. The garage line carries the DSL service.

From the MPO I have two wires that go into a small phone jack. I have attached my DSL splitter to this jack. DSL splitter has phone out and DSL out. DSL out runs to a 4 outlet router. Phone runs to a 3-way splitter (I may run this to a punch down block....)

Using the Cat5, I have pulled the blue and white wires away from the rest allowing about 6 inches of wire and put an RJ11 jack onto it. I plug this into the splitter. The other end is already connected to the phone jack and works great.

I have then pulled the Orange and Green pair (still twisted) and cut them about 1 inch from the jacket. I then put them into an RJ45 jack into

1,2,3 and 6. (OW/O/GW/G) This I plugged into the router and the other end into my computer. This DID NOT WORK.

Help??

Thanks!!!

-------------------------------------

formatting link

comp.dcom.cabling - 938 messages and counting!

Reply to
troydavidsmith

Does your router have a DSL modem built-in? In the description of your setup I could not find that part about the modem that should have received the DSL out from the splitter and then give out an Ethernet connection to your router. Sometimes these DSL modem and the router are combined in one device, and you don't need that additional connection. But if they are not

- that the problem right there. The other thing is: what exactly did not work? Did you observe a link light on the PC? on the corresponding port of the router? Did you not have ability to browse Internet? How exactly the problem manifested itself? Also, check on how the CAT5 is pulled and terminated: if all your cables are bridged together like they used to do for a phone line, it's not going to work for Ethernet as it requires point-to-point cabling

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

Hi! I overlooked the modem - yes I have it and it is plugged into the router.

I didn't observe the green light on the laptop that indicates I have a network connection and I couldn't gain access to the internet.

I will try again tonight with some other cable. This should work, right? Thanks

------------------------------------- Dmitri(Cabl> troydavidsmith wrote:

formatting link

comp.dcom.cabling - 941 messages and counting!

Reply to
troydavidsmith

Hi! I overlooked the modem - yes I have it and it is plugged into the router.

I didn't observe the green light on the laptop that indicates I have a network connection and I couldn't gain access to the internet.

I will try again tonight with some other cable. This should work, right? Thanks

------------------------------------- Dmitri(Cabl> troydavidsmith wrote:

formatting link

comp.dcom.cabling - 941 messages and counting!

Reply to
troydavidsmith

Beats me. The first thing you should do is plug the DSL modem into the line and see if you get 3 or 4 green lights that show you are synch'ed with the DSL provider. At that point, you can probably plug in the router and see if the ethernet light comes on in the DSL modem. You may be able to plug your computer directly into the DSL modem with a straight through cable if the port is auto sensing, or you may have to use a crossover cable. Sometimes the DSL is supplied with a crossover cable and you have to supply the straight-through cable.

For the price, I just carry around a 5 port auto sensing switch and I don't have to worry about crossover cables :-)

Carl Navarro

Reply to
Carl Navarro

OK, as I understand it: a single Cat5 run with phone split on pair one (blue/wh). This should work and is specifically designed to work at 10baseT (and maybe higher).

First, how did you do connections? Cat5 jacks (female) normally have color codes, you follow them because to meet Cat 5, they're all twisty inside.

When you mention pin numbers, it sounds like you crimped. This is usually a bad idea for newbies. It is extremely easy to get wrong (pattern, plugs, force).

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.