Re: can two PC's connect with optimum?

>>

>>> All cable companies have language in their TOS that would lead the >>> consumer to believe that they MUST have one modem for each computer. >>> It's a bunch of BS. A router looks like a computer to a cable modem. >>> What you hook up to your router will only be known to YOU. -Dave >> >> Beelzebub, Warren, Dave, >> >> Thanks a LOT for that one. Whew! For a minute I was believing the cable >> company's line that they could detect by multiple IP or MAC addresses how >> many computers were on the line. > > Well actually, they CAN do just that, if you LET them. But if you install > your hardware correctly, there is no way the cable company will know how > many computers are on the line. Here's what I would suggest . . . > > If you need professional installation, have the cable company install the > cable modem on ONE computer. BEFORE installation, tell the cable company > that you want to use your own cable modem, rather than rent one from the > cable company. Then do just that . . . go buy yourself a decent cable > modem. I'd suggest a Linksys brand BEFCMU10, V3 or higher. (the V3 is > important) But you don't have to buy the Linksys. Just make sure that > whatever cable modem you DO get is compatible with your local cable company > and connects to your computer via an ETHERNET CABLE, rather than by USB > Cable. > > After the cable modem is installed and verified to be working OK, go buy > yourself a decent router, such as Netgear WGR614 or similar. (Yes, I know > that specific model is wireless, but it's easier to buy a wireless router up > front rather than discovering later that you need one. And the wireless > ones are cheap enough now, it doesn't make much sense not to buy one.) To > install the router, do the following in exact order: > > -Turn off all computers (power down) > -Unplug your cable modem (both power and ethernet cables . . . you can > leave the cable line hooked up) > -Hook up ethernet cables so that router (such as Netgear WGR614) is between > cable modem and computer number 1. Ethernet cable from cable modem should > be hooked up to WAN port on router. Computer number one can be hooked up to > any LAN port on router. Do NOT plug in power to router YET. > -Hook up power on cable modem > -Wait two FULL minutes > -Hook up power to router > -Wait two FULL minutes > -Turn on Computer number one and test Internet Connection. > -Assuming computer number one is working OK, you can now hook up as many > computers as you want to, to the LAN ports of your router. Your cable modem > only sees one "computer", your router. Your router is acting like it is > computer number one. (!) > > Most routers should be smart enough to configure themselves if you hook them > up in the exact order listed above. In a worst case scenario, you might > have to program your router to spoof the MAC of the computer that the cable > modem was first installed on. You'd have to refer to the documentation of > your router to learn how to do that. But in most cases, that shouldn't be > necessary. -Dave >

Dave,

Thanks a lot for this information. The employer, who I'm setting this up for, wants to save $ by using the cable modem that Optimum is supplying "free" so unfortunately will not get the Lynksys you mention above. I'm hoping that there will be no problems with it. It's either the Motorola 4200b or 5100b (or some other modem beginning with "Web..."

-- I cannot read my own damn writing!!!). Now I have to look and see if their old printer, an HP OfficeJet R60 can work wireless "on the cheap". Amazing how relatively wealthy people want to use the cheapest things. It took me months to convince them to get rid of Windows 98 that they were running a business on.

Karen

Reply to
Karen
Loading thread data ...

guess you don't realize how they become realtively wealthy.

dj

Reply to
Dr. Cajones

Well, he does have a point - you only get wealthy when you spend a lot less than you make (frugality) or have some great/lucky investments.

Reply to
$Bill

Don't know who you are but with a handle like "Dr. Cajones"?

Thanks for your elegant reply.

Plonk

Reply to
Karen

ditto

dj

Reply to
Dr. Cajones

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.