Can I connect switch port of Router to uplink on another switch to add more PC's

I have Cable modem contains Ethernet connection, which is connected to Braodband Router's WAN port, there are 4 LAN port's on Broadband Router, out of 4, 3 PC's connected to three LAN port's of switch, I need to add 6 more PC's, I got a workgroup switch, contains one Uplink and 8 LAN ports, can I connect the Uplink of the work group switch directly to one of the switch port of the Router? Or can I connect switch port of the work group to Router?.

Why some switches contaikns uplink and some don't, what was the exact difference, what this uplink makes difference?. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
GS
Loading thread data ...

Some switches can auto detect on all ports and others only on one and some on none (requiring a cross-over cable). You should check the docs for your brand. The easy thing to do is just try it and see what works and what doesn't. I'd start with a straight thru cable from the uplink port and if that doesn't work try a switch port.

Reply to
$Bill

Normally, you'd connect the uplink port to the router.

Some are autosense, some require a crossover cable., some have a switch, on one port, to change modes, Also, gigabit doesn't need a special port or crossover.

Reply to
James Knott

Reply to
BigJim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.