Premier package from COX -- 5MB/768K

best place I got a indication what I was getting was 4 speed was here:

formatting link
It doesn't seem much faster. In fact it seems slower?

ANyone else see a slowdown? ANy explanations?

any test I try I get slow speeds

It's kind of ironic anyway. The Net only has so much bandwidth to offer and no matter how much faster u increase your speed u can only get so much,

Reply to
Joseph L
Loading thread data ...

matter how

Try this one :

formatting link
a location near you.

Normal line results for me:

2004-08-12 08:33:10 EST: 2605 / 239 Your download speed : 2667639 bps, or 2605 kbps. A 325.6 KB/sec transfer rate. Your upload speed : 245368 bps, or 239 kbps.
Reply to
$Bill

Joseph L wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Although I would have preferred them to be in English, truer words were never spoken. In fact, this same sentiment was expressed when v.90 modems first started hitting the shelves. I believe at that time it was said that having a high speed modem was like having a hot rod in a traffic jam. Of course, the backbone has been vastly improved but still it remains that the fastest speed you will get is whatever the slowest link between you and your target is.

Reply to
Howard

}Joseph L wrote: } }> best place I got a indication what I was getting was 4 speed was here: }> }>

formatting link
}> }> It doesn't seem much faster. In fact it seems slower? }> }> ANyone else see a slowdown? ANy explanations? }> }> any test I try I get slow speeds }> }> It's kind of ironic anyway. The Net only has so much bandwidth to offer and no matter how }> much faster u increase your speed u can only get so much, } }Try this one :
formatting link
}Pick a location near you.

location near to me is East coast. West coast is really slow 4 me. This site is overloaded anyway for true results 4 ME } }Normal line results for me: } }2004-08-12 08:33:10 EST: 2605 / 239 }Your download speed : 2667639 bps, or 2605 kbps. }A 325.6 KB/sec transfer rate. }Your upload speed : 245368 bps, or 239 kbps.

Reply to
Joseph L

matter how

While it is true that you can't get data from one place faster than that place can/will send it, you can use the extra bandwidth to get data from several places at once.

One thing users often forget it that every time you bump up the maximum bit rate, you need to increase the MaxRecvBuf value. For 5mbps try a value of about 128kB, or more. Use DRTCP.EXE to easily change these settings, and don't forget to reboot after each change (PITA).

Reply to
Ron Hunter

Times the number of targets, up to the maximum bandwidth.

Reply to
Ron Hunter

Depends where you frequent. I am readily noticing the improvement on file transfers. I'm also noticing it when uploading to my web sites.

Reply to
Sixeye

}Joseph L wrote in }news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com: } }> It's kind of ironic anyway. The Net only has so much bandwidth to offer }> and no matter how much faster u increase your speed u can only get so }> much, } }Although I would have preferred them to be in English, truer words were }never spoken. In fact, this same sentiment was expressed when v.90 modems }first started hitting the shelves. I believe at that time it was said that }having a high speed modem was like having a hot rod in a traffic jam. Of }course, the backbone has been vastly improved but still it remains that the }fastest speed you will get is whatever the slowest link between you and }your target is.

tru

I believe unless the Net is made faster in some way higher speeds will be useless as u can't utilize the speed anyway. FUnny I always used to say , wow, 45Mbps, that would b sweet. I can't even utilize 5Mbps

Reply to
Joseph L

The net is plenty fast enough. The problem is more likely the servers. You can often see this when some sites are slow, while others are fast. Also, the time of day will also affect things. If you try, when all the kids are getting home from school, the internet will be slow, no matter where you connect to. But if you were to try again, in the middle of the night, you'd likely find better performance.

Reply to
James Knott

Joseph L wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Getting the max downstream isn't hard from the majority of sites I visit, although I tend to browse during weird hours.

Getting 512kbps up is extremely easy. Uploading to my web server for example is now twice as fast =)

Reply to
Gamer

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.